1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Off-road, farm-use diesel

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by C&K, Apr 12, 2007.

1. C&K

C&K LawnSite Senior Member
    from East TN

This might be a dumb question, but, here goes. I was wondering if we can legally use the tax-free diesel in lawn equipment. If so, that makes these diesel machines way more attractive. I think that there is about $0.80 to $1.00 worth of tax savings per gallon on this stuff. Has anyone or is anyone running this fuel. If so, how's that working for you?
  2. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

if diesel doesnt go down soon im putting that stuff in my trucks
  3. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

:nono: Around here its like a $10,000 fine (I think) if you get caught.

Back to the topic of the thread, you can legally run it in lawn mowers becasuse it is for off road use.
  4. fool32696

fool32696 LawnSite Senior Member

It's perfectly legal to run off road diesel in mowers. It doesn't have the road taxes and your mower shouldn't be spending much time driving on the road. Lately I've only been paying about $.50 less/gal. than on road diesel. I'm tempted to put it in my truck also.
  5. bigmudder77

bigmudder77 LawnSite Senior Member

we used farm diesel in out lawn mowers on the farm and they ran great had 2 big woods mowers we had a guy that put it in his truck too. i think it makes more smoke or is not as clean as road diesel but i am not sure if its the other way around. dont know much about it other than we used it in our mowers and it worked great
  6. TFmike

TFmike LawnSite Member

here in NY it just has a dye added for off road use, farms are exempt from all taxes, our equipment we have to pay sales tax and another tax that is a few cents a gallon, I think it is the road taxes wich are exempt, get caught with it in a truck I mean just a lil dye and face a big fine. A local company got caught a couple years ago and they went to his yard and wrote tickets on all his trucks.
  7. 1cooltreeguy

1cooltreeguy LawnSite Senior Member

YES - Put it in your mowers. Federal - Legal.
  8. bigmudder77

bigmudder77 LawnSite Senior Member

there was a cop that was walking down the parking lot at a fair opening the gas cap (diesel cap) and putting some thing down and bringing it back up and looking at it and putting the caps back on took like a min. a truck but i dont think he wrote any tickets but **** id fight that he had no right going in your vechical with out your consent. and id put a lock on it and if he asked to remove it id tell him "get a search warrent cause i dont have to open any thing for you" but ya use it in the mowers and thats what it was it was dye makes it a red color or at least thats what we had in our tanks (mower and tractor tanks) it also makes for a good cleaner geta grease right off stuff
  9. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

You can also get a refund on your road tax that you use in your mowers, even if it's gas.

Here in MN, you have to pay sales tax on off road diesel if you're not using it for farm use, which is a joke.

Anyways, talk to your CPA or accountant, and they can get you the forms you need to get your tax back on the gas from your mowers. You don't have to buy a diesel mower (I DO) just to save the money on the road taxes.
  10. mosmgras

mosmgras LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

In NC, entire companies (commercial freight) have been shut down by the IRS for being caught with off-road diesel in the tanks of on-road vehicles. I don't think it's worth it just to save a little on fuel tax.

As far as pick-up's go, most newer trucks have a 'roll-over' valve between the cap and tank. The 'straw' can't pass the valve, meaning in order to check the contents of the tank, they will either have to remove the valve or pull your fuel filter.

Keep in mind that law enforcement officers (federal or state DOT) have the power to seize your vehicle while someone obtains a search warrant. There are state fines... then there are FEDERAL fines. Why risk it?