off road fuel in trucks!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by two-niner, Jul 19, 2002.

1. two-niner

two-niner LawnSite Member

I might be posting this on the wrong forum, but since in involves mowing, I guess it's OK.

I work a few hrs. during the week for another lco, and the other day I discovered that they are using off road diesel in their trucks...the same trucks that are on the city streets and highways all week!
    I mentioned something about it to one of the owners, but he didn't seem too concerned.

Has anyone ever been caught with off-road fuel in their mowing/work pick-up??

What's the fine$$$$$ ?
  2. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

We've never done it, but I'm told the fines are rather stiff if caught.
  3. Potomac Lawns Inc.

Potomac Lawns Inc. LawnSite Senior Member

I hope you do not have to go over the scales since it is a commercial truck you are not allowed to do.Around here (MD) the only ones i know of are some of the farmers but big truck or commercial the fine is just too high not to mention the died fuel has no tax on it.
  4. Dennis E.

Dennis E. LawnSite Senior Member

Not legal and a stiff fine if caught.
  5. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

From what I heard the fine is something like $100 bucks per gallon in the tank + some other state fines.
  6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

The fine is a lot more than the average user would ever save by going with non-taxed (died) fuel.

A local LCO just happed to be visiting a small trucking outfit when the DOT was doing an inspection of the trucking company. Because the LCO had commercial plates and weight stickers, they sampled his tank on his small dump truck. Something over $10,000 fine was levied to the LCO. The trucking outfit was legal. This particular LCO has a 1000 gal tank at his yard and used it for his big diesel mowers and tractors. Guess he figured he'd never get caught running it on the road.......:nono:

You can run it all you want in tractors and mowers, but you can also just file form 4136 (Credit for Federal tax paid on fuels) and get the tax money back.
  7. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

It is real. I got a $460 credit last year for gasoline used in off-road equipment.

Save the off-road diesel for your mowers and your Mercedes. The markup to the oil dealer is usually high so it ends up not being much cheaper=not worth the risk.

8. HLC

HLC LawnSite Member

I know a handful of people around here who have been stopped and checked. They were all legal. It always happened in the places one would least expect too. The state trooper just pulled up behind them, saw a diesel 3/4 or 1 ton pulled them over and checked. I've heard it is something like $100/gallon that the vehicle WILL HOLD, not just the gallons remaining in the tank.
  9. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

is this died fuel we are talkin about ,the same as kerosene.
  10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

UMMMM...... NO!

They are similar because they are both dyed, and both are a petroleum product, but put Kero in a deisel, and it won't take long and it'll be ruined. There is NO lubricity in Kero.

The fuel we are talking about is the same fuel you use to heat your house.