1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Off road gas.

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Boycea, Sep 8, 2005.

1. Boycea

Boycea LawnSite Senior Member

This is not a thread complaining about gas prices but I just had a thought. If they sell off road diesel for heavy equipment that is tax free, then why don't they sell off road tax free gas that is intended for lawnmowers and other off road equipment??
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

They do, it's called racing fuel and it's $5/gallon, you ready for that?

It's STANDARD 110 octane leaded is what I get but NO I do not run it straight AND do *NOT* run it in anything but mowers and 2-cyclers. Not only is doing so highly illegal but it will eat your cat in seconds flat and I don't mean the meow kind.

I mix it 4.75 gallons Bp 93 premium to 1/4 gallons 110 lead, gives me a 95.3 to 95.4 octane rating and it's clear blue in color (almost like swimming pool water but slightly darker, about like :blob3: that and you can see right through it).
  3. topsites

Actually they DO also sell regular gasoline labeled 'Farm Use ONLY' and I think it's tinted pink with an add-on so if you run it in anything but off-road and they catch you, it's a 1000-dollar fine so you can run it in equipment but not truck. Far as where to get it, you'll have to ask some farmers.

On the color of my fuel, I was wrong, it IS a light blue not a dark blue but it's the natural color, not an add-on tint.
    Here's some pics (yes I am nuts, taking pics of my fuel lol):
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
  4. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

Is that a glass jar with gas in it?

I put dyed fuel in every diesel eXmark I deliver and we are currently being allowed to use red diesel on the highway.

IRS Waives Diesel Fuel Penalty Due to Hurricane Katrina

IR-2005-89, Sept. 2, 2005

WASHINGTON — The Internal Revenue Service, in response to shortages of clear diesel fuel caused by Hurricane Katrina, will not impose a tax penalty when dyed diesel fuel is sold for use or used on the highway.

This relief applies beginning August 25, 2005, in Florida, August 30, 2005, in Alabama, Louisiana, and Mississippi, and August 31, 2005, in the rest of the United States, and will remain in effect through September 15, 2005.

This penalty relief is available to any person that sells or uses dyed fuel for highway use. In the case of the operator of the vehicle in which the dyed fuel is used, the relief is available only if the operator or the person selling the fuel pays the tax of 24.4 cents per gallon. The IRS will not impose penalties for failure to make semimonthly deposits of this tax. IRS Publication 510, Excise Taxes for 2005, has information on the proper method for reporting and paying the tax.

Ordinarily, dyed diesel fuel is not taxed, because it is sold for uses exempt from excise tax, such as to farmers for farming purposes and to local governments for buses.
    Finally, the Internal Revenue Service will not impose the recently enacted tax penalty on a failure to meet the requirements of EPA highway diesel fuel sulfur content regulations if EPA has waived those requirements.

5. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

Tax time is when you should be able to get a percentage back for all fuel you buy that was used for off road purposes. I'm not up on it but I do believe thats how it works.

I run diesel trucks so any gas that i buy is off road use only, so its very easy for me to keep track of off road gas use for my accountant.

As far as running 110 in mowers, i don't know if i'd trust that, most of the time those mowers say to use unleaded fuel only, that lead is going to eat up your valve guides and probably put a hurting on the valves too. I really don't see the need to run it either, mowers have mostly 9:1 up to 9.5:1 compression ratio's, thats plenty low enough to run 87 in them fine. Heck we're running 13.1:1 in one of the race cars and it runs on 93 without detonation, i dont want to get into dynamic compression though.
  6. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

off road diesel can be run in your truck but it is very bad for it because it is so high in sulfur where as regular diesel is not. i dont know about gas but off road cant be good in on road vehicles
  7. topsites

Yeah, can you tell me what the deal is on that, there's some kinda small (not visible to the eye) reaction, I dumped it right back in the tank soon as I was done taking pics... Dunno how to describe it but it releases something, you can tell if you put a lid on it for just a few seconds, the pressure builds.
  8. Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf LawnSite Senior Member

Keep track of the fuel you use in you equiptment(gallons) . You do not have to pay federal highway use tax for non highway useage,have your acountant do the paper work and you will save a few bucks on fuel.I believe it is 20 cents a gallon now.You don't actually see the money but it reduces your tax liability.
  9. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

it is les than 20 censt a gallon for sure you get pennies back on the gallon. at the end of the year it is the off road fuel tax rebate.c143 or something like that. it is like .001% good old government sticking it to us.
  10. Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf LawnSite Senior Member

I am prety sure it is 20 cents a gallon for federal hwy use tax.Oh tax is about 25 cents per gallon.