1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

off road "gas"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 42homers, Aug 3, 2004.

1. 42homers

42homers LawnSite Member

I was thinking the other day as I sometimes do.................if there is off road diesel available to heavy equipment operators and farmers then why could there not be the same tax free gas for all off road equipment such as a lawnmower and other related equipment in our business.

Farmers farm for a profit, bulldozers doze for a profit and so on.

The thing is farmers...........and I'm not at all picking on them..........they are on the road all the time moving tractors from one field to the other.............they are using fuel that has been relieved of the "road usage tax".

My mowers very seldom make any trips on the road.......at all. My blowers and trimmers rarely make a trip to the store to buy their own fuel..........

If they want to add a colorant to the new "off road gas" then I would surely have no problem with that. I do have a problem with paying a tax on something that never gets used for the "taxed" purpose.

I know it's a stretch but the money sure could be used in other places!

2. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Check with your state's revenue department. In Minnesota there's a form that you can fill out to get the state part of the gas tax back.
  3. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I purchase the mower gas seperate from my truck gas and have the mower gas taken off on my taxes so I get 100% refund on that, but it is a shame we couldnt get the tax taken off at the pump when we purchase it instead of having to wait a year
  4. 42homers

42homers LawnSite Member

There probably is but I'd rather get it immediately. It just seems a little more "fair" that way.
  5. 42homers

42homers LawnSite Member

Theres about 45-46 cents per gallon on diesel fuel.........that adds up over a years time. I would rather put that back in my pocket each time rather than fund some contractor using tractors and off road diesel to maintain the hiways, and getting paid handsomely to do it.
  6. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

It is MY UNDERSTANDING that YOU CAN deduct the tax on gas that YOU USE in your MOWERS. In INDIANA it is 18 cents a gallon STATE plus 18.9 cents FEDERAL for a whopping 36.9 cents a gallon!

7. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

I wonder if gas sold at a marina is tax free? the diesel sold at them is... Anyone know about this?
  8. mastercare

mastercare LawnSite Senior Member

No, gas at a marina is 20-40 cents more..here in MI for the convenience of buying gas on the water. Good question though, boats don't use the roads!

As far as deducting gas....all gas used in your equipment is 100% deductible....not Refundable....there's no such thing.

Gas in your truck is a different story. You can deduct it one of two ways:
    1. Take all of your miles driven in the year which were used for business purposes. This doesn't include commuting to and from work, vacations, trips to the store etc. You may take a 36.5 cent deduction for each mile driven for business purposes.

2. Take the total of all your recipts for vehicle expenses: Gas, oil change, washer fluid, insurnace, plates, car washes, etc. Figure out the percentage of miles driven that were actually used ofr business. Multiply this percentage by the total receipts, and you can deduct that amount.

You may only deduct one of the two above methods, not both. You may use whichever is to your best advantage. Be aware though, that to use EITHER method you must have a log book of every mile driven, and what it's purpose was to account for which ones were business miles. Nobody keeps these logs, especially in our business where we have lots of stops....but the IRS would ask for it during an audit.

Hope this helps.
  9. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

boat fuel is $2.64 a gallon i would never buy marine fuel for that cost i would rather pay my tax on fuel....