Off Road vs On Road Fuel

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by DooleyPyne, Sep 11, 2012.

1. DooleyPyne

DooleyPyne LawnSite Member

So meters need to be installed on the truck tanks so we can record in a log how much gas goes into mowers, blowers, etc... Do we then record the price per gallon that tank cost to fill? and put that on the log?

2. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not an accountant, but I don't believe so. The credit is based on the federal tax on each gallon, so price doesn't matter. I think.

3. DooleyPyne

This would make sense. Can anyone confirm? Just keep track of gallons not price? Doesnt the tax sheet ask for a dollar amount?

4. macgyver_GA

macgyver_GA LawnSite Senior Member

Great idea! I'm assuming each drive has their own unique card#'s?

Then at the end of the year come tax time you request an annual summary of charges from the fleet card company?

5. DooleyPyne

That would be good but we cannot fill out mowers and such at the gas station. We have 6 21 ft enclosed trailers with 3 mowers each in them. Too much mess

6. Mark Oomkes

My accountant only asks me for gallons used. That's why I'm pretty sure it is based strictly on gallons.

7. DooleyPyne

So your accountant pretty much handles it and then you get your refund? I will have to ask ours about that. If its just gallons used thats awesome

8. Mark Oomkes

Yes, he handles all my taxes.

Refund or a credit to next year's taxes.

9. GreenI.A.

GreenI.A. LawnSite Silver Member

The way I have it set up, each vechicle has two cards in it. One only for fuel for that vehicle and the second for any equipment/off road fuel. Each driver has a different driver id that must be entered at the pump as a pin number. When filling the trucks they also have to enter the mileage.

I find this works better than each driver having their own card.

As far as getting a summery of the charges, its as easy as going onto the website and exporting to excel.

10. seabee24

seabee24 LawnSite Senior Member

well you should have a price per gal when you buy the gas. That should come off your receipts when you purchase it, but otherwise all you can really track is the gals used. after all how if you had 100 gal tank, filled 50% with 3.50 per, and the other half with $4.00 how do you say which gas cost went into the mower - you cant

you just track the gals used.