Off Season Costs

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by ooo, Mar 5, 2005.

1. ooo

ooo LawnSite Member

Im just starting a business and am trying to get an idea of my off season costs. I figure on working 7 months, and off for 5. I will probably have one guy working for me, and neither of us will be doing any work for the 5 months.

Here is a list of things I am wondering if I have to pay for during the "Off Season" for me(the owner) and the employee (where applicable):

Business Insurance
    Workers Comp
    Unemployment
    Social Security
    Vehicle Insurance

Thanks for any info you can help with.

Steve
    Ashley Landscaping

2. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

OOO, How is it in Pitts. Pa? We are about 2 1/2hrs north of you. I think we are going to have a very wet spring. Your question- If I were you I would sit down with an accountant, I sat down with a friend of mine (whos an accountant) and he set me straight on a lot of your questions. First you have to make sure you have enough work for you and a full time guy, nothing worse than having an employee standing around on your wallet. Also contact your ins. agent as far as workers comp. Mine said it would cost me about $176.00 for every f/t employee I have and $91.00 for every p/t I have (for the year).

3. ooo

ooo LawnSite Member

Thanks for response. You must be in Erie?
    I have an appointment with a CPA next week (hes going to be a customer).
    I have $2000/wk in contracts and equipment usage, from the guy I used to work for, so Im just trying to get an idea of what I need. Hes not giving me truck/trailer and some other things, but its a good start.

4. ooo

ooo LawnSite Member

Sorry...Not 2000, ....$1500

5. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, you have to pay all of the above for all 12 months. It would be easier to total your yearly costs, and divide it over the 7 months that you are working. You then know the money will be there in the winter to pay bills while you are not working

6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

welcome to the site ooo

7. ooo

ooo LawnSite Member