off-season income

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Mistral, Sep 1, 2006.

1. Mistral

Mistral LawnSite Member

Anyone have suggestions for how I can make money with 2 Dodge 2500 trucks (with dump inserts) over the winter? I already plow but that's not enough. Thanks!
  2. Phil's Lawn Care

Phil's Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Hauling firewood?? You don't necessarily have to be cutting it just sub-contract for other companies around you to haul wood and stack it wherever needed. Not sure if this is realistic, but just a thought.
  3. Mistral

Mistral LawnSite Member

I appreciate the suggestion. I tried that last year but firewood delivery overlaps with Fall cleanups. Most people want their wood before the winter sets in...
  4. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe garage and basement clean-outs? I know I have done some of that in the past. Even some demolition work. You could possibly hook up with some home improvement companies or roofers to do demo or site clean-up work. There is work out there, its just a matter of getting your name out. Good luck.
  5. lawnrich

lawnrich LawnSite Member

:weightlifter: i do hauling for a slumlord i have dumps but i have a truck with a tommy gate it makes applinces and large items easyer but hauling sucks and u have to find cheap dumps
  6. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

You can haul a hell of a lot of Holliday Lights with'em:laugh:

Okay, so the trucks won't be that busy but if the plowing isn't enough (have you considered being a sub to fill in gaps?) the Christmas Lights business is picking up momentum.
  7. thesargent

thesargent LawnSite Senior Member

we dont have an "off season". in 2001 lco's cut 51 weeks aouta the year. average is 44. not much down time. its great.
  8. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

i like the x-mas light idea. i was thinking about it, we could probably get 2-3 houses covered in lights a day... X 1,000 houses in this area. i hope to atleast get 500-600$$ per truck load of lights. so.... 1 house = 1 truck load. 3 houses a day X $600 = $1800 X 1,000 houses = 1,800,000. i think that would maybe get me through this winter! :laugh:
  9. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

I'm on the other side of the state and I know exactly how it is up here. I linked up with a contractor and do some work with him. Make some friends, or just approach some construction guy,s at the local American Legion, Deli, or ask any of your buddies if they know anyone in constrution or home improvement that could use a body a couple days a week. A couple hundred dollars a month help keep the heat on and loans paid up for the winter.