off season training for lawn care providers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gordons lawn, Jan 21, 2003.

1. gordons lawn

gordons lawn LawnSite Member

we all enjoy a little down time, but as i age (37) i find out every season just how bad it hurts to have off season time off. tip: i started running, walking and lifting weights during my off season, and what a differance it makes! give it a try.... u will feel great come time for your busy season!

2. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

Been running---back and forth to fridge!put on bout 15 since winter:mad:

3. I do a 2 1/2 mile walk every am + sit ups, push ups, got rid of all the weights except curl bar years ago. Dang things are too heavy.
    Problem is that work out makes you hungry, wish it was only 15 I put on this winter.

4. sbvfd592

sbvfd592 LawnSite Senior Member

I I run, to the crapper and back! or to get food.

5. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

I have found the winter sports we perform while clearing snow to be very energetic and quite the workout at times. (-LOL!!!)

Theres SNOWSHOEING which is how we get invoices to clients front doors -- SPPED SKATING which is how we apply salt to walks behind a spreader -- THE LUGE is my favorite way of chasing shovels down steep drives (bum position is optional) -- POWER LIFTING is always entertaining while loading the hopper by hand at 3am when you started the storm 24 hrs ago.

I also think that keeping up with whats happening at the msgboards is a great way to keep the c.tunnel under control (lol), this way its not such a shocker to the hands the first day back to clean-ups!!!

6. SpudsM15

SpudsM15 LawnSite Senior Member

Well i keep the mind keen by going to college. I have a bowflew which is awsume but it sucks that i only use the darn thing maybe once a week!

7. Five Star Lawn Care LLC

Five Star Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Im out on the ice 3-4 days a week getting a full workout. I coach youth hockey and play in a mens league. Hockey is deffinatly my next passion after lawn care.

8. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

Buy (or rent) a pole trimmer. Best upper body workout I've ever had.

9. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

You have it right if you like what you do to work out. I have been jogging since late July and usually go for time 4 to 6 times a week. I will jog about 50 minutes to an hour and I feel great. Last year I was up to 228# by now. Today I'm 197 and heading down. Thats on top of not really eating the best but trying. Good Luck.

10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I'm 48 and I can tell you that I need the winter months to recouperate from beating myself up during the season. Come March though, I will start exercising inside with push ups and sit ups each day to start getting into shape.