1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

off season??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Brickman, Apr 9, 2002.

1. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

OK guys I am trying to find out what the rest of you do on the off season. Here in southeast WY the season is very short. About 22 mowings a year, give or take. And the winters get harder to make it thru every year it seems.
    We don't get enough snow to come close to paying for equipment, let alone anything else. I have never been able to get another job, even minimum wage. They can always tell from my applications that I am self employed, and so will not hire knowing I am going to be quiting in the spring.
    What do some of the rest of you do in the slow/NO work to do months?
    You guys with snow removal to do, probably get tired of it after a while.
  2. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I think # 1: I'd move
    # 2: I'd move
    # 3: I'd---------------well, you get the picture.

I wouldn't live in an area where the winters were longer than the summers................too cold for me!
  3. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

I run a home improvement service in winter. Almost no business this year (economy I guess) so we did direct mailings, business improvements and built new equip and racks in the shop.

4. mxrdrvr3

mxrdrvr3 LawnSite Member

Do home improvements or minor home repairs,painting anything that you can yourself to do
  5. steelcity

steelcity LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

what i have done is talk to temp agencies. for the most part employers have been forgiving because they know i am only there for the winter or at least until it snows again. call friends who have businesses maybe they can also help, that is my plan for this winter as temp agencies do not always pay the best.
    hope this helps
  6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Boy, that makes bad even worse with that short of a season. Like someone else said, a temp service MAY be your best bet. With such a short season, that leaves even MORE time to work elsewhere. Some of the areas you may want to look into for supplemental employment would be retail. They are always hiring, and get real busy just about the time we shut down. Otherwise, and I hate to say this, because I've never really thought about that with that short of a season, but you are off for as much time of the year as you are on. You may just want to look into a secure job, and use your business to (heavily) supplement that. Either that, or go find some really cool seasonal job for your off seasons, like a ski instructor or something. I usually have enough to keep busy plowing, but this season was real slow, and I was a bit stir crazy. I substitute teach, which gets me out of the house, but is not enough to count on, so I have to budget into a slush fund.
  7. Russo

Russo LawnSite Senior Member

Homer's post reminds me of that book "who stole my cheese". There is a reality to what he's saying. Heck, I'm now thinking about moving to Cal. That fellow on here from Salinas is kickin some but out there!
  8. mwhite6926

mwhite6926 LawnSite Member

Hey, we sale satellites! DIRECTV and Dish Network and the new DIRECWAY. It is not that hard to put a satellite in !!! If you can mow, and change blades, you can do a satellite system! Dish is the best deal right now! Check out the website! www.echostar.com :blob2:

9. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

I work from March (usually 1st or 2d week) until Christmas Eve, and a few days during the winter. I save enough that between the year round billing and savings, I only need to make about $400-500. I have been delivering pizza, and make about $200-300 per week. I also do odd jobs. I've hauled away debris, cut down trees, cleaned attics and garages, built fences and decks. Things have a way of working themselves out.
  10. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

In the past few years,my work has been pretty constant year
    round. In the years before,when winter would really slow me down, I used to drive tow trucks.
    Loved chasing smash! :D