1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Off set decks....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tacoma200, Oct 8, 2006.

1. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

One of the things that concerned me at the Expo was the off set decks on the Exmark. Set far to the trim side. I really don't like this but I'm sure they have many good reasons for it. I trim with both sides and feel more comfortable with the deck centered. My question is do you guys with the off set deck just get used to it and then don't pay any attention to it. Or does the off set bother you?
  2. mslawn

mslawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from LA

I hate a centered deck, love my 72xs and 66xs with lots of left trim side. My 60xp has a little left trim side but not enough for my likes.
  3. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

The more off set the better. At least you will be able to trim around mulched areas without running a wheel over the mulch.
  4. davidcalhoun

davidcalhoun LawnSite Bronze Member

Offset decks also help with trimming around curved metal edging.
  5. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

My 72 Is offset and yaa I love that part too. It will become very easy to get use to.
    Tacoma...Did you notice any Difference with the 07 triton deck and the machine over all?
  6. TAZ

TAZ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

The 60" ultracut on my XS is only offset about 3" if that, so no I don't notice it at all.
  7. Willofalltrades

Willofalltrades LawnSite Bronze Member

My walker's deck is centered. I really don't like it when a wheel slips into the mulch bed.
  8. Waterscapes By Design

Waterscapes By Design LawnSite Member

you guys have a link to any of these offset decks? I would kind of like to see them.
    Also, is that an adjustable feature or you have to buy one with a certain amount?
  9. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Yes they have made some changes to the deck mostly so it will cut better in Northern Grasses. They moved the front baffle in one spot so it doesn't get build up near the discharge and also made a plate that keeps grass in the left chamber from recirculating in a vortex instead of moving grass to the next blade chamber.. Hard to explain but this part is only needed in certain area's of the country. You can retro fit the old Tritons if you are having trouble. They say they have learned alot in the last year. What works in Florida does not work in doesn't work in the upper part of the country.
  10. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Well, I guess I am going to be odd-man-out...

I think the offset decks SUCK.
    There is no part I like about them.
    I guess the only benefit I can even think of is maximized rear track width.

I much much much prefer the centered deck on the Lesco over the offset setup on the Lazer HP 52". It is offset extreme left and the casters are offset extreme right. NOT a good combo for most of my applications. But this is handy for mowing up to sign posts.

This setup scalps/gaps easy on rolling terrain, sucks mowing across hills, and REALLY BLOWS in tall stemmy grasses. Part of it is the offset deck, part of it is the offset casters.

There are much better layout options for improved trimming in my opinion.

Personally, all the trim I want is a little on each side so I can mow up close to things and hang the sides out over an edge... and enough to allow for swath overlap without having my tires run over any percentage of the tire track for the previous pass. The 2005 Lesco's have 3"-4" on both sides, which is way more than enough. For caster placement, I want them tracking where they do not cause cutting issues and I want the front track width narrow enough that I can put a sign post or whatever between the front caster and scalp wheel out on the edge of the deck.

For what it is worth, I found out a long time ago that trying to be too trim-intensive with the mowers is TOO time consuming. Everything but edges have to still be trimmed around anyways, and I run 20" or more cutting swath on my trimmers anyways, so as long as I can get that close to something without slowing too much I'm happy. The trimmer line is already swinging over that area anyways.