Off the beaten path Mann Gulch

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by FIMCO-MEISTER, Jul 16, 2011.

1. Doing a Missouri River fly fishing trip with a buddy and we are going past Mann Gulch. Site of the first big tragedy in Forest Service smoke jumper history. I'm hoping I can get our guide to stop for a brief visit. No other way to really get to it.

13 men died trying to outrun a fire that traveled 4000' in 20 minutes up a gulch. Just finished McLean's Young Men and Fire. A good read.

"They were still so young they hadn't learned to count the odds and to sense they might owe the universe a tragedy."

2. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

I will read that, I remember the tragedy. What a screw-up!

3. It was a compilation of events. The book tells it well. Everybody was to blame...nobody was to blame kind of tragedy. Helps to have a map of Mann Gulch when you read it.

4. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgQNeGPJdcQ

i have a friend that was a jumpmaster for the feds pete, he said that the mann gulch has a lot of energy, hope you take time to walk the site

5. Not sure ill get that much time its a long hike. i just want to stand on the bank of the missouri and look up the canyon thank my lucky stars for life and feel the ghosts of the brave.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Wasnt that the fire that changed the forsest services attitude about fighting every fire?

7. I'm not sure but it did cause an intense study of why fires blowup and become almost tornado like. Never get caught on a grassy plain in front of a fire with the wind blowing towards you.

There was another situation like this in CO back in the nineties and that is my next read.