Off the market?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by sjj14, Oct 18, 2004.

1. sjj14

sjj14 LawnSite Member

Local sales rep in my area recently told me that both Confront and Momentum in their granular forms will not be labeld for residential use in 2005. He was not sure about the liquid formula. Not that I use alot of the granular but it is concerning none the less. Just wondering if anyone has gotten the same info.
  2. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

yep its true. All confront, liquid and granular will be taken off the market for residential use. I was not sure when that was taking effect though.
  3. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

I heard rumors about Confront getting banned from a Lesco rep earlier this year...guess he was right!
  4. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

What typically occurs is the manufacturer of a chemical chooses not to renew the registration when due. This causes the chemical to be with drawn from the particular market the renewal isn't completed for.
    Usually, the company not going through the renewal process has observed declining sales which do not justify the renewal costs so a voluntary with drawal occurs.
    I do not use Confront, and seldom use Momentum. I, for one, am not affected by a lack of renewal.
  5. sjj14

sjj14 LawnSite Member

the reason I got was this... The active in both Con. and Mom. have a long residual. The clippings from lawns that are collected and reclylced as mulch have been fouund to contain this active and it is killing shrubbery where it is used.
  6. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i heard this 2 yrs ago
  7. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

Both Confront and Momentum contain Chlopyralid which has the system action. It is residual in clippings. That is why it is being pulled from the market. I believe as of 1-1-05 you will no longer be able to purchase but I may be off on the date.
    Story was that about 2 years ago a gardner in Washington used chlopyralid on his lawn and then put the clippings in his garden for a weed control. Shortly thereafter his tomatoes died. Called to find out what happend and here we are, losing what I feel is a very good product. I use momentum exclusively in the summer. I'm deciding which product to change to.....
  8. cemars

cemars LawnSite Senior Member

Chlopyralid isn't being taken off the market but is loosing the residential use label. It can still be used for golf and commercial properties as they do not typically bag grass clippings.
  9. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

Sorry, your right, but when something loses its residential label, it pretty well becomes useless to 95% of us (IMO).
  10. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Another reason not to bag?