Off to a slow start ....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Sharp Services, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Sharp Services

Sharp Services LawnSite Senior Member

I was hoping 08 would start off better than it has. This Jan. sales are down 60% from last year. I have been asking myself ... what the heck is going on.

Anyone else having a slow start?

2. mowing grass 1111

mowing grass 1111 LawnSite Senior Member

slow start....... i do not even start intill april 1st

3. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Hi Alec,
    I don't even get going until March and I don't know what to expect however I don't anticipate anything out of the ordinary. If you are seeing a 60% difference in last year there has to be a reason. More competition, pricing, recession? We all hear how bad the economy is but I think that overall we are all pinched by rising prices but overall I think its a geographical thing. Did your area have any large layoffs or company closings over the last year? Are they still building in your area or is it stagnant? I can't answer that for you but there is a reason, sometimes its not obvious.
    My area is actually doing well so even though we are paying 3 bucks a gallon for gas and everything else is high, they are still building and hiring people here. Our unemployment rate is relatively low and we don't have a ton of illegal labor (BTW they just deported 20 yesterday) so business is steady. I am hoping your stats change for the better. You are lucky to be able to even get stats, mine are 0 just like the temperature here.:waving:
    Take care.

4. sikagrass

sikagrass LawnSite Member

Absolutely. I lost a customer who liquidated his real estate-5 apartments and 3 of his 4 houses that paid year around. Knew it was going to smart but OUCH.Good luck.

5. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

January.... I've plowed the commerical properties once, and did two salt applications on the commerical properties. Thats it!

6. Sharp Services

We are pretty lucky here .... there is something to do year round ... just not as much in Jan/Feb/March.

Last year I did lots of pine straw and mulch.

7. Sharp Services

Part of my problem is that 80% of my business is elderly people on very fixed income. This time of year I usually do pinestraw/Mulch, clean gutters and keep the leaves up. The elderly I service do seem to have the extra money this year and are holding off on the extras.

Good news is that I got a call after lunch to bid on a nice size church here in town to start in March. That could save my year or at least turn it around.

8. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I don't do too much work during the winter months, but I am trying to change that steadily each winter. This winter I have added a couple new lawn clients and a few leaf clean ups so I have been pretty happy. If I can gain a little ground each winter, eventually I will get where I want to be.

9. andyslawncare

andyslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

we make thousands on pine straw/mulch and clean up/trimming/pruning jobs during the winter + year round contracts...