Offer a discount for large mulch order?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Gr grass n Hi tides, May 16, 2003.

1. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

Just wondering if any of you guys offer a price break to clients who have larger amounts of mulch installed. I have a client that is going to need about 20 yards, and another one that will be close to 40. I won't be the only back out there either. I have one friend lined up to "spot" help me with the 20 & two for the 40.

2. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I would!!!

3. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

We just did one of our accounts last Saturday, 58 yards of black mulch, edged all beds (hasn't been edged in 8 years!!) laid new fiber block down and mowed all in 6.5 hrs with 12 guys working. Edging was around 1,500 feet and 3 dump truck loads worth of cut edging! After 20 yards $1.00 off per yard up to 40 then $2.00 off and it stays there. We get trailer trucks delived and pay $15.80 per yard for black.

4. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

nope, I price all my mulch the same weather it's 2 yards or 60 yards. I do it all by labor and material. I get 35.00 a yard on mulch (21.00 my cost) and 30.00 hr. on labor so if I have 3 guys for 2 days doing 40 yards it 1440.00 labor and 1400.00 on the mulch, if there's 3 guys for 4 hrs doing 8 yards it's 360.00 labor and 280.00 mulch. Thats the way I price all work, no reason to give discounts, it is what it is. On all most existing costomers I just bill them for the time that we have into it and the material and for new customers or one's that want a quote I estemate the time we'll have and material we'll use and that the price i give them. It's all the same structure though, no discounts. The only way I would give a discount on material is if we're talking over 80 yards and I'm getting it brought in by bulk with a tractor trailer and I'm getting a lower price on material. but not anything less than that.

5. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

Holly Smokes Batman!! We think we are doing good to get $40.00 to $42.00 per yard for cypress mulch. That includes material and labor!! Good job on your end!

6. Gr grass n Hi tides

I charge $55 per yard - $23 for mulch (cypress) & $32 for labor. I'm inclined to leave it at $55 for the quote on both jobs which will give me a little room to negotiate if the response is not warm. When I say a little room, I mean along the lines of what landscaper3 suggest. His numbers pretty much give the client a yard or so for free between 20 - 40 & a couple of yards free if they have 60 - 80 installed. I could live with that if necessary.

Thanks for the input guys. Any other opinions out there?

7. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

Mulch: $37 a yard installed, $40 delivery charge

8. thats what we get here also.
    My clients would scream for anything higher

9. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Landscaper3 has the right idea. Give them a yard or two for free. Only if they ask though, I would not advertise that fact.

10. Gr grass n Hi tides

Appreciate the input guys :)