Offer for secret shoppers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DFW Area Landscaper, Feb 10, 2006.

1. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I am running an ad in the paper that reads:

FREE weed control program for home owners in Lewisville, Flower Mound, Highland Village & Coppel in exchange for being a secret shopper. Only 30 spots available. Call for details.

Think anyone will call from this ad?

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

2. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

Then when they call, are you going to say the spots are filled? :p Just kidding.

I think you will probably get some sort of response. However the people you attract with the words "Free xxxxxxxxx" might not be the kinds of customers you are gonna want to have.

3. DFW Area Landscaper

from DFW, TX

No, no. This is a legitmate offer. I am not trying to find customers. I need secret shoppers in the towns I operate to verify that they receive my door hangers when my crew leaders tell me they hit their street.

Also, the secret shoppers will be required to approach our crews when they see them out working and ask for a price to trim the shrubs or mow the lawn and report their findings.

In return, the secret shoppers will get three free chemical applications per year that will prevent their lawns from being over-run with weeds in the spring. The applications we make in November, January and March are our most profitable so I don't mind giving them away to a secret shopper.

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

4. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

Very interesting idea, I'm guessing it will get a response.

5. DFW Area Landscaper

from DFW, TX

I had a crew leader robbing me blind last year and I never even knew it. The SOB was actually offering the services of his brother to my clients at a lower rate. I have no idea if he stole a lot or a little but it certainly impacted my churn. When I found out about it, it did explain a lot of the mysterious cancellations I was getting.

Clearly, this is no way to run a business. I need some mechanism for spotting a thief and this is the best idea I can come up with.

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

6. palawnman

palawnman LawnSite Member
    from PA

WOW, thats a pretty interesting idea. To be honest with you when I first read the thread I had aboslutely no clue where you were going with this idea. That being said, I think it definitely is a good idea. Good luck with it, let us know how it turns out.

Ron

7. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

sounds like an interesting idea, might as well try it.

8. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

I feel your pain DFW. I truly believe that employee's will try to get away with as much as they can(not all). I bet that he was also using your equipment to do extra jobs and slipping the cash into his pocket. You will never eliminate this problem but you can tighten up the odds. If you solve this problem 100% - you will be able to go on tour and be a consultant to all businesses and make some cash.

kc

9. DFW Area Landscaper

from DFW, TX

Well, rather than pay for an ad in the paper, I think I will just distribute this word document to about 400 homes myself, spread out all over these towns.

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

Attached Files:

10. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

Be careful what you wish for, you just might not have any employee's. I feel your pain and know where you are coming from. However all employee steal to some degree it cost employer millions each year. copy paper, pen, paper clips, petty cash etc. you may reduce your shrinkage some but what are you going to do if you catch them? Confront and then fire them? Do you feel they are stealing that much from you? We will record times on jobs start and finish I dont look them over everyday but when I do if I see something suspicious I ask them about it. I also follow behind them some time and show up on different jobs. Good Luck. I like the idea