1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Offering a discount for a pre-paid season???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Phaneuf, Mar 20, 2008.

1. Phaneuf

Phaneuf LawnSite Member

...Say, %10 off for paying for entire season up front.

Any thoughts on that???
  2. RickR1818

RickR1818 LawnSite Senior Member

I have read on here that 10% is pretty average. I myself started advertising 2 free mows instead of the 10%. I figure at $30 cut X 28 = $840 - 10% = $756 ($84 discount) Thats almost 3 free cuts which is like cutting for free an entire month. I try to get the customers to focus on # of free mows ($60) and keep a little more to cover gas and other exp. for the free mows.
  3. ffemtmcd

ffemtmcd LawnSite Senior Member

I offer a 10% prepay discount - I figure it's worth it to know that acct. is paid for. I like the 2 free mow thing though, might have to consider that.
  4. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I wouldn't use a percentage. Use an actual dollar amount. You can say, $100 off. In most cases that amount wouldn't be 10%, but it sounds like a large amount.
  5. theguynextdoor

theguynextdoor LawnSite Senior Member

I'm going to offer that with my contracts. It will be nice to get some money up front to pay for things. But I also want some monthly contracts also so I have a steady income. I'm trying to decide whether or not to have people pay montly or 4 equal payments for the season.
  6. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

We will be forcing notoriously slow payers to pay the entire season up front this year. They'll get a 6% discount (if they chose to continue to use us) and they can get a loan and make late payments on that as far as I'm concerned.
  7. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

I have 1 customer that I still do that for. However make sure you don't under estimate how many services you do, and even add 1 or 2 more mowings to be sure you cover you bases.
    Last year during the drought I made out pretty good, but most of the time it comes out very close to what I estimate.
  8. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

I do 10% discount for prepay, people seem to like it and I don't have to worry about being paid.
  9. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

I offered that this year 10% and the usual great payers are the only ones to take benefit on this and the laggers all got a $5 increase but I am still waiting for a lot of contracts to come in as I only guaranteed pricing until April 1st on the contracted price so Ill see soon
  10. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

I have offered seasonal prepay but it seems to be blown off around here. People can't afford $700-$1000 up front. As long as they are good monthly pays, I bill em that way and have abandoned the prepay offer.