Offering unsoliscited help.....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LwnmwrMan22, Oct 4, 2007.

1. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Just wondering if you ever offered a tip to someone mowing a property next to yours.

Tonight I was doing a factory / industrial place in the town's industrial park.

3 high school kids hop out of an Isuzu Trooper and one grabs the push mower, one grabs the trimmer, one hops on the 44" Gravely Z.

Now this thread is NOT intended NOR wanted to be used to start bashing equipment.

When I was 16 I started with an S-10 pulling a single place snowmobile trailer with plywood sides hauling a 14 hp 32" Montgomery Wards garden tractor.

There's alot of guys on here that probably weren't even alive when M.W. was in business. :dizzy:

Anyways, I'm just trying to set up the scenario.

The property is a warehouse type building, 1/2 used by a trucking company, the other 1/2 for lease, whole entire building been for sale for 3+ years. Whole property about 4 acres, 80k sq ft building, 25k sq ft parking lot, rest turf.

There's strips of turf along the building, then the areas of turf between the parking lot, and the roads, which this property is on a corner.

The operator of the Z drives counter clockwise, starting on the outside, mowing all of the grass into the street.

Now throughout the year, I've noticed that when the property is mowed that there's grass everywhere, and it's left there.

I now them mowing the property, and I walk over to the guy running the Z and tell him "Not to tell you what to do, how to do your job, whatever, but if you mowed the first two circles in the opposite direction, you wouldn't leave grass all over the parking lot, roads, etc."

Was I in the wrong??

I wasn't trying to put him down, make fun of him, give him grief, just trying to offer a tip to someone that most likely never even thought of such a thing. Should I just walk away next time??

2. sbvfd592

sbvfd592 LawnSite Senior Member

was he receptive to you??? or did he get ticked off and tell you where to stuff it??

3. willietd2

willietd2 LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

i dont think trying to help anyone would put you in the wrong. some people take super offense to someone trying to help them sometimes... what was his response?

4. nlminc

nlminc LawnSite Bronze Member
    from GA

I probably would have done the same thing. Actually I did before and the dude went around to some customers(knowingly)in the neighborhood and tried under bidding me! He was working for $12.00 an hour and spreading pine straw for $1.00 over cost! I had to educate him before he brought us all down!! He did get a sod job from one of my customers and told me " I'm not making anything off this job" , like I would feel better instead of being pissed at him. To this day I have never spoken to him again.

So, what was the reply you received?

5. BanvilleLawnCare

BanvilleLawnCare LawnSite Member

Maybe if you didn't tell them, whoevers paying them might hire you.:)

6. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

I personally mow over 3/4 of a mile of paved road and when I finish there is absolutely no grass on the pavement. I hate that with a passion, seeing people mow their properties out in the country and making sure they discharge all the grass into the road.

That makes me think they got out of line when God was giving out gray matter to go between people's ears.

That is absolutely no use of common sense at all, the fresh grass laying in the road and a quick shower of rain comes, someone rounds a small curve on a motorcycle and it slides out from under them and they get hurt really bad or killed because of some idiot blowing grass in the road.

That is one subject I can start ranting over, I find it hard to believe people can be so stupid, you would think they all work for our federal government.

7. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

I see alot of companies out mowing that take every step to get the lawn looking nice only to leave LOTS of grass underneath their trucks and trailers and blown into the street. I've been tempted to talk to the HO and tell her "For example, me and my guys would not leave that grass right there in your street..." . I just want to ask them if they are just plain stupid or really dont realize the mess they leave.

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I do agree, first start off with a perimeter run (or 2) to save yourself considerable cleanup work and to cut yourself out a little 'play' area where you can turn around in or do whatever without spraying clippings everywhere. Then, clean up after yourself, leave it nice and neat, yes of course, always.

As for telling others what I see them doing wrong...
    I tried it once, they were very nice and polite but didn't want to hear it.

So this is one case where I lead by example, if the other Lco would like to ask why or how, they are welcome to do so.
    Beyond that they all have to make up their own minds, customers too.

Some do watch, and some do learn, that's all I want.

9. Jordan River

Jordan River LawnSite Member

I never offer tips cause some folks just don't want to hear it....however, I will ask a question to anybody, whether you are a rookie, or been doin it for 20 years. I can always learn from anyone!:)

10. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

one guy came over and asked for some trimmer line "he ran out had no extra" I gave him a bunch he offered to pay for it I said thats ok man its cool. shot the **** for awhile.