Offically starting the 21" route today!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by K.Carothers, Jun 21, 2006.

1. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

After much thought, I decided to start a 21" only route. I gave up a ton of business this year because I only wanted to use the wb. That has all changed now.

I have a crew that is out cutting with the big mowers- it seems like a problem arises everyday.

I am the 21" crew for now.

Simple, small lawns and minimal maintenance(compared to the larger crew).

If you see me, you might just think I am a weekend warrior just starting and laugh. But the proof will be who has more money and less headaches at the end of each day - Will it be my large crew with all commercial equipment, trailer and truck or the 21" crew(me) with all my equipment in the back of my Blazer? I plan on buying a small pu for the 21" crew(me for now).

I figure that at the end of each year, throw all the equipment away (21" crew) and start with new- It will be less money than fixing everything on my large crew.

Who knows, I might just go after the lawns for the 21" crew and sell the rest.

My pride left this season. That is, must have the big mowers, blowers,trailer, racks and truck to look good for all the other LCO's.----"Hey Joe, look at that set up" ...kiss my behind.

kc

2. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

Not afraid of a little effort!!! I for one applaud you :clapping: and wish you great success:headphones: ...I too have found that the 21" can bring in more money with less expence:weightlifter: ...Too bad all these lardasses on their 60" ZTR's will never be able to compete because more effort is required using a 21" than sitting on your fat arse all day playing with their joysticks!!!:laugh:

3. stuffdeer

stuffdeer LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey....

Your like me!

4. Rev. Crabgrass

Rev. Crabgrass LawnSite Member

The whole point is to make money, if you can do it with scissors and a broom riding a bike then you are accomplishing your goal. Ego and Pride can get expensive.

REV.

5. jsf343

jsf343 LawnSite Bronze Member

Good for you! we have run 21's for 6 years now and it is great! they do have headaches of their own but you can make money if you run a tight route. Do 3 an hour at 30.00 and you make $90.00.(minus expenses) even 2 an hour is good. Build it up over the long haul and you will agree it is worth having. Good luck with building it. Jeff

6. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

i did this for years till i got too old to walk as much. i disagree about the throw away equiptment . 1 honda commercial will out last 20 murrys.

7. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

Somebody's got to do it I guess. Not me --- I'm WAY TOO lazy. I like the big lawns better anyways.

8. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

If you can tightly route, a route full of cookie cutters,the margins can be extremely high. Get em on full service, seasonal contracts, watch your margins on that route go up.

9. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I am FINALLY in the process of giving up my snow customers ( I HATE SNOW ) for the #1 guy in our area for snow removal for his grass customers.

I give him 100% snow, I get 100% grass. His routes consist of lawns built for the 21 incher ONLY. I cant wait....I retire every winter, he retires every summer, its gonna be a beautiful thing.

10. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

I think it is a good idea, and I should know, I have a lot of good lawns that can only be cut with a 21" and I make good money on them! I don't really love using a 21", but I don't have a problem getting small accounts because as people get bigger they only want to do the big, easy access lawns. I share referrals with a friend who won't take on any new accounts that require the use of a 21", so he refers them to me. This arrangement works very well payup I have one entire day filled up with 21" lawns, I call it my "scrub day" because it is just me with a small mower in my truck. I don't care what equipment is required, if a lawn pays well there is always room in my schedule for it!