Office Frenzy!!!!

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by justin1431, Jun 19, 2007.

1. justin1431

justin1431 LawnSite Member

I need help? I can't seem to get my administrative procedures together. I've been in the business for less than a year but I'm trying to get all my procedures mapped out before we get too busy to deal with it.

My idea is to set my business up like a much larger company and map out procedures and positions. Of course I will hold multiple positions at first but i'll know what positions need to be filled first.

My thought behind this? I've read over and over about how all the larger companies experienced problems with outgrowing their infrastructure so I thought I could get a headstart. I know things will change and nothing will be the same in 5 years anyway but atleast it won't slip up on me.

I don't have a degree or much business experience but I do know that I'm getting more calls than I can keep up with and I'm not really trying yet. I want to know how much i'm making and how productive we are and all that other good stuff. I've bought book after book but none of them tells me how to organize my business. I would love to skip the "learning from my own mistakes" phase as much as possible :)

Does anyone have any good advise or literature on this aspect of the business? I know..quit worrying about it and enjoy or..go back to school.

If we have any authors here..something to think about.

2. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Whats so hard about setting up a lawn business? Your #1 man, cheif, cook and bottle washer. You study all the information you can get your hands on about the different typs of equipment so you know what tools to buy and how to use . When #1 man has enough business, and income, to finiance and support a #2 man, then you hire a #2 man, etc.

3. justin1431

So I take it you don't have written procedures for all of the positions in your company?

4. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Written procedures? Not really...what more is there then mowing, invoices, and doing what little paper work there is? Also if you are licensed, fertilize and spray at the right times.

5. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

You need to "get" there before you have to worry about who is going to do what. I had 5 guys a few years ago, now I'm back to solo. Tired of babbysitting and all the B/S.

6. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

i cant seem to find anything else than administrative work to do all day im on the phone doing estimates doing a TON of paper work ordering running around checking on stuff and running errands ill run heavy equipment when needed though

7. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 LawnSite Senior Member

keep at it justin, you have the right idea.

Have it all set up before you have the need.

8. justin1431

thanks lawnmaster5000. I just with their were a manual on how to set all this up without having to pay professionals to come in and do it for me. Someone needs to write a manual from this aspect of the business. If no one has by the time I get there I sure will....

9. Supper Grassy

Supper Grassy LawnSite Bronze Member

Justin why dont you write a manual, everything you had problems with and how they were solved

10. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I disagree. Maybe with your operation you do not need written procedures, and that is fine, I am totally not bashing you. However, the original poster is looking toward the future growth that he is planning for his business. IMO, written procedures are a necessity for any larger company. I have been working on my standard operating procedures. I do this because I am looking toward the future when I have quite a few employees and I will feel confident that the business will run smoothly when I am not there. I learned this from working with a water company. The EPA requires you (at a water company) to have EVERYTHING written down. So if everyone at the water company disappeared at the same time, the EPA could bring a totally different crew in and they would be able to run the day to day operations without ever having set foot on that particular system.
    So, yeah, I think it is a good idea.