Office Help

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Flow Control, Oct 30, 2007.

1. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

How many of you have paid office help to answer phones and billing. We are nearing seven figures in irrigation only sales and I have yet to employ any office help. I work with a third party that answers my phones and does scheduling for me. I was thinking of taking that expense and using it as my budget for 08 in finding a pt office employee.

2. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

If you are doing those kind of figures, I think you would be much better off spending it in house on your own employee. Personalized, in house attention should be infinitely times better. Wish I could be in that dollar range. Impressive.

3. Intriguing. how do they handle scheduling for you? How do they know how long to give each job, whose available, etc? is it a company that does that for other businesses or somebody who works from home? If they do a good job the benefits of not having another body on the payroll is always good.

4. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Call me paranoid (I've known too many contractors who suffered from
    embezzlement by "trusted"book keepers), but we all need help, especially if
    your pushing that kind of billing. I had a CPA firm take care of EVERYTHING
    except the actual field billing. That & the scheduling I did myself..I'm a control
    freak & you all know the only one who can bill from field reports is a sprinkler guy,almost every job I would know a certain part HAD to have been
    installed tho it was not on the field report from the field crews. That's time
    consuming, but for bottom line, a necessity. You could hire a old hack like
    me or Fimco, but the only way other way than that is the old "keep your
    thumb on YOUR business".:dizzy:

5. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

if you have a wife or girlfriend try to use her to do it. saves on money and a check to write :laugh:

6. Mike Leary

Yass, in her spare time she can get rid of that obnoxious sig you have.:hammerhead:

7. Flow Control

She just passed the Bar exam is is looking for employment and whenever I brought it up before she did not express much interest.

8. Flow Control

I work with a service that does the following:

Takes messages

Schedules appointments onto a online scheduler so the service techs knows what is going on from home (they keep the work trucks.) Through trial and error they have a decent idea on how to do the scheduling. We do not give service times. On a regular appointment it is either AM or PM (no more then 8 a day for service calls, 4am and 4pm for each service truck and we overlap the times so AM is from 8-1pm and PM is 12-Dusk) and for winterizations it is Day of or they pay an additional fee for an exact appointment.

9. Mike Leary

Quickest way to dissolve a relationship I know..o.k., there are others.

10. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

thats a neat system. we have a receptionist/nursery sales person in conjunction w/ a telephone system, works great. oh and you can't just hire some louse off the street (we did once)