Office Manager

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by HaluchsLandscapes, Jul 23, 2014.

1. HaluchsLandscapes

HaluchsLandscapes LawnSite Member

Are there any other Office Managers on this forum?

What do your tasks / duties include?
    Do you handle mostly everything?

Answering The Phone
    Marketing (Newspaper and Social Media)
    Communicating with customers

What is your salary? How many hours do you work?

I am just curious.. I tried to search a bunch but couldn't find anything.

I am looking for other marketing ideas and looking for people to chat with about this.

2. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Gold Member

I'm subscribed. Just curious about the topic. So give us some details of your job description, and areas of concern.
  3. HaluchsLandscapes

Well I do pretty much everything in the office.

We have a client base of 1500+

I have worked here going on 4 years.

Duties include:

Billing (For Mowing, Shrub Trimming, Mulch, Irrigation, Fertilizer, Spring & Fall Clean Up, Snow Plowing - Full Maint Company)

Website & Facebook & All Social Media (I have gotten our rankings up on google to the first page for virtually ever search you do.. I designed the website.. I change it often.. I am on facebook everyday posting photos of our lawns or sprinklers.) I take photos for the company.. All company branding has been done by me.

Marketing - I help design brochures, phamplets, flyers, handouts, facebook, door to door etc etc - We send out mailers & flyers certain parts of the year and I make sure this is done.

Answering Phones - For all divisions.. handle customer complaints.. money collection calls.. upselling calls, service calls for sprinklers etc

Scheduling - For Irrigation, Service Calls, Spring Starts Up, Mid Season Check Ups, Winterization, Sprinkler
    Installation, Fertilizer etc - Making sure routes are set up for Mowing / Spring & Fall Cleans Ups.

Payroll - every Monday

Ordering From Vendors / Taking In Orders - Making sure we have enough paper / ink / invoices etc
    Home Show - Working the home show.. getting together all items needed for home show

Organization of EVERYTHING --- Invoices.. MSDS Sheets.. Vendor Invoices.. etc

I could probably think of more things but those are just off the top of my head..

I enjoy what I do... a bit overwhelming at times but it works! :)
  4. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

I hope they at least give you a hook to hang your superman cape on because handling all that is super human.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. HaluchsLandscapes

haha.. that made me smile! :) Thanks I needed that!

Spring time is the absolute WORST and I want to rip my hair out. I am the only one in the office. I do have a women that comes in and helps me hear and again when I need it. (Even if it's just stuffing envelopes)

C'mon are there any other office managers!!
  6. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Gold Member

You sound very busy and valuable. Your website looks good, but I'm no pro at dissecting them. I just know what flows well with me.
    Family owned company. Are you a family member?.
    1500 customers... Are many of them, one time installations, or repairs? How many employees?
    Are you feeling undervalued?
  7. HaluchsLandscapes

I am a family member... Many work within the company!

Re Customer Count: Its a mixture of Sprinkler Start Ups / Winterzation / Repair / Maintenance / Fertilizer.

We don't have many "one time" customers.

I am not feeling under valued - more so just getting a feel for what other people do within the office or if they have extra help.
  8. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

I have a virtual office manager.. Lol
    Posted via Mobile Device
  9. Jobber

Jobber Sponsor

That is a huge amount of work! P.Services is right that is super human. How you stay organized and efficient would be amazing to learn.

How big can a company get before you think they would need a full time office manager?

10. HaluchsLandscapes

We use Real Green Software - so it's fairly easy to stay organized. Sprinkler Start Ups in the Spring get to be overwhelming with the volume that we do but we make it work.

I don't route my fertlizer guys because they do it theirself - and the invoices print out when the last time the last application was due so it's really not a big deal for that aspect.

I work long hours.. 7am-5pm Monday through Friday.

I have charts of when certain marketing materials needs to be sent out.

I am most def full time - my question is who here is big enough where they have 2 people in the office? And are you both busy at all times?