Office/Shop

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by bohiaa, May 11, 2007.

1. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

do any of you guys have a shop ?

I'm to the point where it's a PITA working out of the house.
    thought of renting a self storage buld. but that would be Just for equiptment.
    no office. and the cost of something decient is :dizzy:

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, the crawl space underneath my house is a full-height one (meaning you can stand and walk upright all along), is well-lit and wired for electricity with several outlets, that's where I do most of my stuff, I love it.

3. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

would it not be called a walk space then? :laugh:

4. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Consider the source... I was going to say something about that. I have visions of building a workshop, nothing to big, at my house.

5. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

I couldn't imagine not having a shop in this line of work. We have a 30X60 shop for our own personal stuff (bikes, mowers, etc.). We run a small engine repair shop that we just built a new 30X80 shop for that has a 12X24 office and a 18X24 showroom. I'm thinking about this winter building a 30X40 pole barn. You can never have a big enough shop.

6. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Thx.... Right now I'm working out of my house... I have been looking for something, I think I may get an old house that has some land with it and call it done. I keep growing and working out of the house SUCKX..... wife is hollering. Garage is Full. I bring home clippings to filter in my trash.....
    But I'm still solo......

7. Midwest Lawn Services

Midwest Lawn Services LawnSite Member

An office is a very nice thing to have. My family actually started a motorcycle shop behind their home; 20x40 office/showroom and a 40x32 shop. They have expanded, built an 8900 sq. ft. place, and I use the old space. I maintain the old property and the new one in exhange for the office space and shop. Works pretty good!

8. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

A shop is without a doubt very important. It's a place away from home where employees, customers and office staff can congregate to make things happen. If I was strictly a mowing company I'd have a hard time justifying a shop with low profit work, but all the other services allow us to have a 3000 sq/ft shop that we lease with 2 offices. I can't imagine business without it.

We have a full repair facility with all the amenities so whatever breaks it's fixed. In addition, we have a 1/4 acre yard for all the seasonal eqipment so as to clear the shop for the work at hand. Now it's full of sweepers, spring cleanup gear, tractors and cubevans. :)

9. Mark13

Mark13 LawnSite Member

Very true. No matter how big you build it, you still will be able to fill it easier than you could ever believe.

10. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Well normally during the season I keep all my equipment in my garage. My father has a 40x50' shop, well-lit, heated floor, that I store everything in the winter. Anytime I have to work on a mower, change oil, change blades, etc, I run out there at the end of a days work. It's only about 6 miles from my house and there's actually room to work on stuff.

I thought about keeping everything there all the time, but that means a 6 mile trip every morning with the trailer to load everything up. There's a lot of "stuff" in there, and there wouldn't be room for the trailer so if I did keep all my equipment there I'd end up towing the trailer back and forth.