1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Office Work

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by mitchgo, Aug 17, 2010.

1. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

So usually when my boss goes on a vacation our 2 senior techs will take over the office work. But he wanted all of us to have a shot at it. I was going to do it last year but I took vaca trip at the same time he did.

So I just completed a full week of office work. We have a secretary but she spent her time playing catch up on delinquent accounts.

I have to admit I really enjoyed it. I handled all of the technical calls, scheduled up the routes, follow up calls on incomplete and additional . As well as I got 6 new install bids created and handled several emergency jobs that I couldn't get the crew to get to in a proper time.

We have slowed down , like most of us.. We dropped from 4 trucks to 3 and as well as having mondays off. So I had to rotate the crew around with days off. I think the hardest thing about office work , especially during this time of the year. Was creating a route and having it as best as organized as I could. It wasn't too hard though

So props to the companies out here who run the office and go out to the jobs at the same time

2. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Yuck! Not usually fun, but needed!~

3. JayinMI

JayinMI LawnSite Member

I know what ya mean. I started as a service tech with the company I am working at now. Now I run the service crew, do all the bids, some repairs and some installs. I also have been trying to collect on deliquent accounts before we sue them :(

Props to you, I am glad you enjoyed it!!!!!!

4. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

3 questions mitchell,

is the secretary cute?

5. CA Green

CA Green LawnSite Member

Careful what ya wish for

ugly.jpg

6. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

Haha

Unfortunately no, shes a very nice person though

7. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

proper response is "i've been working so hard that i've never noticed"

my response is " not hard on the eye, very hard worker, pleasure to be around"

someone else may say "who cares, send her in for dicktation"

8. Great prep for becoming an owner someday if you so choose. I always regretted I didn't work for somebody first that knew what they were doing to see an organization.

9. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

100% agree. Too many of us in this industry jump into it not knowing the business end of things, only the field work end of it. And that, is a large part of why many guys fail going into biz for themselves.

I keep talking to Ewing about them doing 1-2 seminars a winter on business type issues, as opposed to field work/troubleshooting/product seminars. This would help even the playing field a little better, and then some of the hacks would understand how they are hurting the industry and why they are working so much harder than the rest of us and making half the money.