Official 2006 sprinkler winterizing thread!

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by BSME, Aug 28, 2006.

1. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I know that our Duetz engine is oil cooled. I wouldn't be surprised if his is too.

2. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

I was servicing a sprinkler last friday and I drove by a garage , I noticed a 90 cfm linsey compressor on the side of the building. I have seen it before but someone was there this time , so I stopped in and asked about it. The guy told me it has been sitting for 3 years , ran when it was parked. If I wanted it , I could have it for FREE , just get it out of here today I am tired of looking at it. Naturally I took him up on the offer . 4 cyl wisconsin , rotary compresser gas powered . Fuel tank sluged up real bad ..... Changed it to a 6 gallon boat tank . Cleaned carb and got it running in 3 hours . 2 tires off the rack in the garage , old electric fuel pump off the shelf , Total investment $ 37.00 ( came with 100 lb hammer and 50 ft of hose)

3. Dirty Water

That is totally not fair. Good score.

Those Wisconsin (and Onan, I think they are the same) engines are so bulletproof.

Is it like this one?

[​IMG]

4. Mdirrigation

Yup , but I have heard they are out of business

5. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

It is oil cooled, a label on the compressor states the engine holds 13 quarts of oil including oil cooler.
    I had planned on changing all fluids and filters this afternoon but it was serviced recently, the air filters look new and the motor oil is clean, so I decided to hold off.
    Should get the hose reel mounted tomorrow.
    I have always run off road diesel in my rental compressors to save on fuel costs but was wondering if anyone knows if the higher sulfur content has any ill effects on engine life.

6. Mdirrigation

I run red , off road , heating oil , in my IR all the time

7. irritation

8. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

9. irritation

I know it won't be cheap but a brother in-law with a body shop helps.
    I won't be using factory paint either, these I/R's have the worst paint jobs I have ever seen. It seems they didn't even use a primer.

10. Dirty Water

Irritation, You should be fine running Pink/Red. If your at all concerned you can dump a bottle of additive in the tank every few tanks.

If guys are trusting their $750,000 machines to run on pink, I'm sure you can trust your cheap one :D