Official 2006 sprinkler winterizing thread!

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by BSME, Aug 28, 2006.

1. BSME

BSME LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

I do warranty against freeze damage only for the spring...

if you winterize properly you won't have any damage in the spring unless it's because of one of the reasons you list on the form...

...besides, I dont think i have much of a choice as it is the norm around here and one of the first questions customers ask...

2. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

I believe alot of water gets back in the lines due to heavy rain and or melting snow.
    Last year I blew a system out, that I already winterized a month earlier, to mark heads for aeration and was amazed how much water came out.
    I always go through each zone at least twice to make sure all water is out.
    I would never warranty against freeze damage.

3. BSME

BSME LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

what size compressor do you use? I dont seem to get that problem...

even if water is getting back in the system i don't believe it's enough to fill the pipe up solid so when the ice expands it'll crack.. besides... If I find a leak I don't necessarily run and tell the homeowner I think it's freeze damage and should be covered

4. irritation

I use a 185 diesel with the pressure regulated to around 60 PSI.

5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

How many people return in the springtime to re-winterize a system, just to check if any water got in? Purely conjecture.

6. None.................

7. irritation

I didn't return in the spring. I blew the system out in October and the homeowner requested to have it flagged for aeration after it was winterized.

It was probably mid November when I re-blew the system to mark the heads and there was quite a bit of water that accumulated in that period.

8. You must have missed that water the first time.....

9. irritation

If I didn't know better I would have thought the same thing. :rolleyes:

10. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Sight unseen, you can't know if water got in through a head, or through a shutoff valve that doesn't completely shutoff, or just because the homeowner turned on the system again. I could see it happening more on older systems, with an uphill head in a hollow.

If you want to really test the idea, you have to 'lock out' the entry of water into the system, by having an open drain on the supply, after you winterize.