1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Official 2006 sprinkler winterizing thread!

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by BSME, Aug 28, 2006.

1. keith_480231

keith_480231 LawnSite Member

Everyone done with blowouts or maybe do you think a small number of flyers should be put out to try and get some stragglers???

2. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

So late in the year what % are you hoping of .01 - 1%?

3. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

We usually aren't done this early, but the blizzard and very cold temps have just about stopped the phones ringing. We have about 25 left to do, but yesterday never reached 30 degrees according to my truck temp guage. And today is going to be the same. Low was supposed to be about 10-15 last night. I used my torch on 4 of the seven yesterday, and my tech had about the same. We both saw lots of freeze damage yesterday.

I may call some of last years list of winterizings that haven't called yet, and say we are still available. But I absolutely HATE soliciting work. I prefer to leave it in their hands. We send everyone a newsletter telling them to call us if they want it done.

4. I am sending out a postcard this week to all my list that did not get done....I also had to torch yesterday.....I hate that.

I expect some of the stragglers will continue to call up until thanksgiving or so....as it will be in the 60's here again before the next snow, whenever that might be ;)

Sure glad I have a compressor now and don't have to try and lump all the stragglers together to go and get a rental...PITA

5. keith_480231

Well I was just thinking of the people who just plain wait til the last minute.
    Like maybe tacking on 25% and making just a little morepayup

6. BSME

BSME LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

already below freezing here at 6pm... and falling until 8am.

PVBs go crack crack crack

7. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

First Snow of the year, curious on what is going to happen tomorrow. Still had some installs from this summer that never got shut down.

8. keith_480231

Oddly enough got 7 calls today? Maybe a trend????:laugh:

9. BSME

BSME LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Started torching those backflows....

what do you charge for the poppet and bonnet replacement? Called one company in the area and they are charging $150 for the poppet and bonnet on top of the $75 winterization. God bless 'em

10. If I have to replace one while I'm there in order to get the system to blow out...I only charge $175 total.....