1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Official Firepit Thread...

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by MowingisMaddness, Oct 20, 2006.

1. MowingisMaddness

MowingisMaddness LawnSite Senior Member

Hello friends,

I did an internet search and a search of lawnsite and found very little about constructing a firepit. Well, its time to let the cat out of the bag. So everyone with experience(not me)... How do you build a long lasting, professional looking firepit? Maybe like one in the picture attached...

Thanks, aj

2. Ron's Lawncare

Ron's Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

i'm curious too. i don't think wall blocks would last in a fire pit.
  3. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Wallblocks do just fine in a fire pit.

The important part is to install a drainage system to keep water out of the firepit.

My method is to install a drainline in the bottom (sheetmetal gutter pipe works well) of the pit and then cover it with gravel to keep it from getting clogged or burnt.
  4. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

I only have one firepit on my resume, so I'm by no means an expert.

Not to discredit Jon, but I didn't use any drainage, and customer reports no pooling, and I don't think wallstone will hold up, so I lined our's with firebrick.
  5. Ron's Lawncare

Ron's Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

That's what i was thinking, we have one cobbled together at our camp made from 8'' cinder block and they don't last more than a couple years.
  6. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I'm no expert either, but I've built a few.

The drainage was put in just because we get some rain here.

I haven't seen wallblock crack from the heat, its not like its a smelting forge :)

That said, I used solid wallblock, not the hollow core stuff.
  7. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

I actually have seen block crack from the heat. I'm no expert either, but always thought a fire brick lining wouldn't hurt. I also know they make a special mortar for heat applications as well. :)
  8. waltero

waltero LawnSite Member

This is a copy of the firepit that they had displayed at mahts last year.

firepit (Medium).jpg
  9. sunray

sunray LawnSite Member

If you are going to be liable and care about your reputation, put the fire brick in that's why it's called fire brick.
    My daddy always said build it to be abused , because sobody will come behind you and abuse it.
  10. MowingisMaddness

MowingisMaddness LawnSite Senior Member

So where can I get a firebrick or block or stone? Manufactures in my area include: Unilock, Pavloc, Pavestone, Keystone, Versa Loc... but I don't recall any of them having a firebrick. I need to finish a bid for a patio with firepit by the end of this week;) Help please...

At the current time, I plan to bid the firepit with the following construction:

1) large drainage area underneath; 36" hole, 2 foot deep, filled with 1" clean rock.

2)6 inches of concrete sand on top of the 1 inch rock

3) standard retaining wall block for the walls of the pit