Official Horrible service call thread

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by DanaMac, Apr 28, 2005.

1. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

How about this be the thread for describing all the crappy service call jobs we work on? Perfect place to post pics of those amazing over-engineered manifolds and do-it-yourself jobs. OK I'll start. Hi, my name is Dana......and I'm an over-worked sprinkler technician.

My technician has now spent 12 hours on a job and still not done. Entire job is copper - mainline, laterals, risers, and brass heads. Plastic 2" valves he says (I'm thinking 1.5"). Company came in and tore out sidewalk and back patio. Everytime they caught a brass head, it tore or bent the copper pipe. At least 16 of these. And the new patio has heads and/or pipe still under it and is leaking from under the patio. So now we have to hand dig around the patio and install all new heads. All the pipe he's been fixing is half inch, and he's just putting on a Male x Copper fitting with a female swing ell and swing piping to new RB 1804s. Funny thing is he talked to the contractor yesterday and they said they knew there were broken heads and pipe under the new patio. WTF!! Thanks for calling us ahead of time. I don't have time to do this job.

2. I know who you can send the overload to :)

3. Ground Master

Ground Master LawnSite Senior Member

Dana, you must be working on an old weathermatic system installed by Robertson's...........I've had my fair share of those and I do the same thing as far as sweating on a copper adaptor.

-Tom

4. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Yup - old Robertson's system downtown.

System I worked on today and yesterday had a poly lateral that was running directly underneath the metal edging. And, you guesed it, the edging pins poked thru in 5 places. The landscaping is at least 10-15 years old and this edging hasn't been changed. This owner bought the house last fall. The stakes probably plugged it for a few years, and as they were worn away by the water they didn't seal as well.

So once I dug them up, I realized my hand pump is in the garage. So I did the repairs by feel since the holes I dug filled up with water. And since it is 30 frigging degrees out, my hands were frozen. Hey SprinklerGuy, regret leaving AZ? Thanks for lunch today.

5. Should have called me...I would have brought you my sucktube...i was glad to have it at the old lady's house I was at this morning....her husband thought it was "the cat's meow"...LOL....

Thanks for the referrals and the Green Mark experience....

6. Broker

Broker LawnSite Senior Member

Nothing like pulling up on an install to see fresh hydroseeding. Will post pics this weekend.

7. Broker

This was not a design build but a spec drawing.

Melody Lane House 001.jpg

Melody Lane House 002.jpg

Melody Lane House 003.jpg

Melody Lane House 004.jpg

Melody Lane House 005.jpg

8. Broker

more pics for the same job

Melody Lane House 006.jpg

Melody Lane House 007.jpg

Melody Lane House 008.jpg

Melody Lane House 009.jpg

9. Broker

We had to hand dip over 2500' of pipe.

Melody Lane House 010.jpg

Melody Lane House 011.jpg

Melody Lane House 012.jpg

Melody Lane House 013.jpg

Melody Lane House 014.jpg

10. Broker

Look at pic #5, we had to bore the width of the side walk to feed the bottom right corner of the pic from the left side of the sidewalk.