1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Offseason work, besides plowing?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by jreiff, Dec 10, 2004.

1. jreiff

jreiff LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

Was jsut waondering what other people do in the winter beisdes plowing? From MN, and i do plow, but with and unusaul winter here, snowed couple times, but not really acummulating. Thanks
  2. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

Good luck......do a search on this topic and you'll never find an answer....Ive asked this question in the past and all I was able to get is that I " must not be very successful in the lawn business" if im looking for work to do in the winter
  3. brentsawyer

brentsawyer LawnSite Senior Member

Not much in the way as of income goes but here is my winter list and it's a serious one.

1) Finish patio out back of my house, approx 500 sq. ft. (Can't wait to have pics to show off)

2) Landscape lighting at parents house, approx 500 watts total around pool with runs over 100'

3) Retaining wall around corner of pool at parents house 3 pallets, easy chore

4) Commercial landscape job in next week or two

5) Work on tree farm approx 400 pot-in-pot trees and 800 shrubs, real small operation but have to start somewhere.

Hopefully I can get enough nice days to finish all this before March 1
  4. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Get up, eat, watch TV, nap, repeat until March 2005 :D :D :D
  5. lbmd1

lbmd1 LawnSite Senior Member

I got tired of waiting around for snow to fal so I went out and found an oil company willing to sponser me to get my CDL B license. They trained me and allowed me to use their truck for the licensing part. While it's not great money compared to lawn work ($15 an hr), it pays for Christmas presents, child support and other small expenses in between snow storms. I can report to work any time when my cleanups are done and leave at any time to go out plowing. Its a win win, they don't have to pay benefits and I come back every year to work for them.

6. The Yard Barber Inc.

The Yard Barber Inc. LawnSite Member

you say you plow snow but do you sell or chop fire wood? this is something to keep you busy during the fall and then deliveries during the winter months. Also you could get into christmas decorations. I know around Raleigh that kind of thing is big.
  7. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

Sell Firewood, get your supply from tree cutter through out the year.
    Repair & letter mail boxes, repaint and replace post etc.
    Install blown in insulation ( machine is free when you buy insulation)
    Winterize your clients homes
    Interior painting
    Carpet cleaning
  8. gilllawnservice

gilllawnservice LawnSite Member

You would like fries with that :D :p
  9. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

I have been keeping busy with interior remoldeling....drywall, insulation, electrical, plumbing, etc... good money and helps pass the time.
  10. Lawnchoice

Lawnchoice LawnSite Senior Member