offset blades???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by glllc, Apr 25, 2007.

1. glllc

glllc LawnSite Member
    from CT

What is the purpose of using offset blades? WHat do they do differently than standard blades? I understand high lift blades create more vacuum to lift the grass and cut it better, but don't understand the concept of offset. If anyone uses them, do they notice a difference?
    Thanks for the help,
    Rick

2. unit40

unit40 LawnSite Member

What do you mean by offset? If the blade isn't really flat it could be an all purpose mulching/discharrge blade.

3. glllc

glllc LawnSite Member
    from CT

They sell them at J Thomas and mowmore etc.

4. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

You are talking about the ones that are higher in the center than they dip down and are lower where the actually sharp edge is? I know they use them alot on the Bobcats that we sell. Kinda annoying. I dont see any advantage or disadvantage to them. Probably just another part to make differently so there are more different parts instead of keeping everything easy...LOL

5. glllc

glllc LawnSite Member
    from CT

Those are the ones I'm talking about i can't figure out their purpose.They also sell them for exmark and scag too.

6. unit40

unit40 LawnSite Member

Yes, those are considered 3-in-one blades. For general all purpose mowing. The middle 'offset' is the mulching part. If you look close it should be angled down in the back like a 'reverse' lift. It forces the clippings back down to be recut again.

7. Mark in MD

Mark in MD LawnSite Senior Member

First I've heard of this. It seems to me, once the grass is cut, centrifigal force will keep the grass riding to the outside, so how can the clippings then be mulched by the middle part of the blade?

Somebody else mentioned in another thread that the purpose of the off-set is to provide better up-down balance. A flat blade is not really flat, since the fan part of the blade wings up. That makes it out of balance from an up-down perspective. Making the sharpend edge off-set (lower) counters the weight of the fan (upper) part of the blade and provides better balance.

8. fazzy815-66

fazzy815-66 LawnSite Senior Member

I have always used offset blades...for me they cut better than anything else.The offset blade does cut about a .25 inch lower (cause of the blades are lower than the center) Which I like better because I personally like the northern grasses cut a little lower. Also they do cut the clippings a little finer which when the grass is long its easier to blow through. (the clippings)

9. glllc

glllc LawnSite Member
    from CT

I'll try a set and see what happens.

10. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

My new eXmark came with them. I'm like you dont fully understand it But it does cut nicely