offset JRCO aerator

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Stonewall, Dec 29, 2000.

1. Stonewall

Stonewall LawnSite Senior Member

Has anybody tried to offset a JRCO aerator to be able to track along the turf next to flower beds, fences, etc?

2. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I spoke with an engineer at the company about adding extra units on the sides to get closer to beds and such and was told that most mowers wouldn't have enough power and traction to push the unit. It is set-up in the center for a direct push. Gene

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Stonewall, I assume you're talking about the "Hooker" plugger. If so, could you just slide the mounting bracket bar over to the left a bit (through the U-bolts) for your first lap and boundaries of beds and such? Depending on the size of bracket you have to the size of your deck, you may even want to look into welding a little extension of square tubing onto the right end of the bracket to allow this. Just make sure you grind the welds smooth to allow for ease of movement through the U-bolts when they are loosened. Just a thought!

4. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Gene,

That is so funny!

Companies have got the greatest sales lines.

Jrco isn't a big enough company to employ an engineer and based on the longevity of their products don't use and outside firm, either.

The hooker aerator is rated to go on a 12.5hp 44" up to a 26hp 72" mower, both walk-behind and rider.

A range of 350 to 1300 lbs. "most mowers wouldn't have enough power or traction to push the unit."

LOL

5. Stonewall

Runner,

Thanks for the idea. I would have to adjust the way my mounting bar is attached to my mower. Now, the U-bolts bolt through the mounting bar. I haven't seen one of their aerators in person to know if it would be possible to slide the mounting bar over as you suggest. Have you seen it to try it?

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I've never used one personally, but I've seen one in action. Did you say the U bolts bolt THROUGH the square tubing? Mine bolt AROUND it. Also, Len, (who Emailed me) Did you get my reply? Let me know. If you did, that aerator site I told you WAS http://www.turfvent.com.

[Edited by Runner on 01-02-2001 at 08:28 PM]

7. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Kent Lawns: Sounds like you need to try a Hooker unit befor you voice your oppion to greatly.

Gene

8. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

I've owned 4, thank-you.

9. Stonewall

Yep, they bolt through the tubing, but I think I may have installed it wrong. Have you seen anyone try the offset you mentioned?

10. Stonewall

Kent Lawns,

How have you dealt with aerating around flower beds, etc? Did you use a conventional walk-behind aerator?