offset steering

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by RedWingsDet, May 8, 2006.

1. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

I have a 03 Lazer Z....
    The left handle is real "jerky", when you move it a tad the whole machine jerks forward and with both are forward it veers to the right....

How do I get this aligned correctly? I dont have a manual for it.

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

RedWingsDet,

I'd say you probably have a combination of things occurring.

With the left hand being jerky, I'd take a look at your motion control dampers. They are the little shocks that help separate you from the hydro system. Once these go out, you can move the handles too quickly which will cause the jerkiness. The bigger danger lies in that without the dampers functioning properly, you can damage the hydro-system by too quick of movements. You'll want to look at your right hand damper as well, it may also be failed, and you're not seeing the 'jerkiness' on that side, for the same reason that the machine is pulling to the right...belt tension.

One of the grease points that is constantly over-looked is the pump drive tension idler. You actually grease this from the bottom of the engine deck, and a lot of people miss it (especially those w/out a manual!). The left hand pump has more belt wrap around the pulley than the right, therefore when you have a belt slipping issue, it typically shows up first on the right hand side before the left. I'd recommend removing and inspecting the pump drive belt (look for glazing and cracking), removing the spring, and then grease the idler pivot and rotate it back and forth. This should be done occasionally (at least once a month I say for commercial guys), to ensure that the idler arms get proper lubrication. If you always grease it under load (w/ spring and belt on), it's very difficult for the tight side of the idler to get grease.

Quick parts sales spiel...Starting as a running change in 2004, Exmark began utilizing spherical bearings in all of our idlers. These bearings (much like a ball joint) are designed specifically for this type of small movement application. They help spread the load over a significantly larger area than the typical bushing or roller bearing set-up, the resulting performance has been outstanding. Keep in mind with all the 'fancy' stuff that is being done with decks and engines, the whole performance of every machine in the end comes down to maintaining proper belt tension. These idlers are retro-fittable for most any machine. Not only do the idler assemblies have a better performance, they also require much less maintenance. They are sealed to prevent contaminants from entering, and need greasing a whopping once a year...if that! I apologize for the soapbox here, but it isn't very often us Service Guys are impressed by advancements with machines, but this is huge!

You also stated that you don't have manuals for the machine. Look up you serial number, it's located on the right hand side of the machine, straight down from the drive lever. Then go to the following URL and you can download those for future reference.

http://www.exmark.com/manuals.htm#lazerz

I hope this helps. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to contact us again.

Thanks,

Lenny