1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Offsite job bidding from aerial map?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by magneto259, Dec 15, 2011.

1. magneto259

magneto259 LawnSite Member

I am in the sealcoating industry and was wondering if anybody does any offsite bidding on jobs with aerial maps? I've heard of a few companys in my industry doing it but not sure what maps they are using that are accurate enough for that.

Also do any of you guys use and search engine optimization services? I listed my website on local.com and dexknow.com and they both want to tune up my site to get me on the first page of a search engine for a set price. I wasn't sure if these services work or are a waste.

Thanks in advance!
  2. Landscapes8988

Landscapes8988 LawnSite Member

I use google earth. It has a function that you can measure and it is VERY accurate!
  3. magneto259

Awesome! Thanks!
  4. willretire@40

willretire@40 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from VA

5. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I do it for snow plowing sometimes. I have tried for mowing but can't see enough detail and things are obscured by trees sometimes. Many towns/cities now have their tax assessors cards available online...might wanna look into that too.
  6. magneto259

Thanks for the replys. I'll look up the tax assessor maps. Thanks!
  7. Darryl G

The tax assessors "field card" will sometimes show a calculation of the paved area, especially for non-residential properties.
  8. magneto259

My countys website isn't that fancy....lol. I'll do some measuring with google earth and compare my hand measurements with the map. Thanks!
  9. Dr.NewEarth

Dr.NewEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

Alot of cities have a web service called G.I.S. global information system?.
    Some-times there is a charge for this on line.

I use it for Arborist Reports when I want to show the location of a property to city hall staff, in relation to neighboring properties. I would never use a satellite service to do my estimating. The detail is minimal and I wouldn't chance it for my other services.

You can get basic measurements of lot site size with G.I.S.
    Some cities web services may offer more information.
    Google the "City name and GIS"
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  10. Darryl G

Close Dr., GIS = Geographic Information System. It's basically a database that's tied to geographic coordinates. That's what I was talking about with the Tax Assessor's cards but didn't wanna get too techincal...a lotta dem deer aspahlt sealers ain't too good wit dem big wurds.