1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Oh boy, I had a dandy yesterday....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jon99, Jul 4, 2004.

1. Jon99

Jon99 LawnSite Senior Member

Guy calls for a bid on his property, said he was still working but his wife would be home.. I was just doing bookwork so I went right over.. Pulled up and its a decent size yard on the river, probably right around 30K SQF, going to need some WB work because of a few tight areas and one slope... So I gave her a bid of $60....

She said "That sounds fair, garage door is normally open, use whichever mower you like and there is the gas can" Peaked inside and there were two 21" mowers sitting there... I was at a loss for words, so simply said "Thanks, but I have my own equipment".. She said "Its not one of those riders, is it"....

Turns out this lady spends 7 hours each Saturday mowing her yard and is looking for someone to do the same... Half kidding, I simply told her I could do that, but going to need $350/cut... Handed her a business card as was on my way...
  2. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I guess that did sound good to her! ha ha ha
  3. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

There are some crazy one's aren't there? I'd asked how the air is up there, cause you must be high.LOL
  4. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

Was there an opportunity here to explain that soil compaction is as much a problem when you're stomping all over the yard with a 21" as when you're driving a zero?

I wasn't there so I can't say, but maybe she'd have gone for your bid if you'd pointed out that people use large mowers on their lawns all the time with no discernable wear and tear. Doesn't mean she'd have bit, but she might have.
  5. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

this has happened to me twice.

I don't have a rider but a 48 WB just the same.

one little old lady fired me but I got my revenge when she called me about DECEMBER one year and asked:" if I'd like to come and pick up her leaves..."!

eight years later the other one still grumbles: "well! that didn't take very long!". lol.

TROTTMAN LawnSite Senior Member

I always just explain that the bigger walk-behinds and zero-turn mowers put less pressure per square inch than the 21" mowers do. However, if you make zero turns and keep one tire from moving than they can be really rough on the turf! Otherwise I think the larger mowers have a better cut and you can't see all the tire marks a much.
  7. Jon99

Jon99 LawnSite Senior Member

JMO, but when an old person is set her in ways, her comment was "I have been push mowing this yard since 1978", is this a yard and customer that I really want to deal with?????
  8. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Sometimes you just cannot seem to run away fast enough let that be a lesson to not go on an empty stomach.
  9. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

trottman--have you ever done the calculation to show this?

GEO :confused: