Oh crap... went to the home show

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by IMAGE, Feb 23, 2008.

1. IMAGE

IMAGE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from midwest

I was >.< that close to buying Exmark AS2860, with Ultra Vac. Then I went to the Home Show...

Got to the show, found out we have a Gravely dealer in town, and he says he can beat the Exmark price hugely with his 260 model. I am going in there on monday to take a look at it.

Then I talked to the Kubota dealer, and was suprised to find out they are not as expensive as I thought. And they have 0% financing for 42 months. The ZD326 looks like a great mower, and they have a demo with 32 hours on it- at a good price, especially at 0%...

Also talked to the Deere dealer. Asked if the price($7000) they quoted me on a 737 last fall was still good, they said "sure as long as we can still get one" and said something about it being discontinued. That was news to me, not sure if he was mistaken or if it was true.

What sucks is I am figuring lots of bid right now that require bagging all summer, so the Walker is tempting also... but our Walker dealer is an LCO also, not sure if I want to compete with my dealer for lawns.

So now here I am again, trying to decide what is gonna be the best mower for me. :dizzy:

2. BUCKEYE MOWING

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

Whick ones have you demoed and really liked ??

3. IMAGE

from midwest

None, there is 2 feet of snow on the ground. They all will give me a demo in the spring. Unfortunately all these bids I am doing must be submitted with an equipment list, and they are due long before the grass will be growing.

I actually want the Exmark, but they are sticking so close to retail on thier pricing that it is turning me off to them. I feel I should get some kind of a deal if I am buying the mower, bagger, a backpack blower, trimmer and power head, all on one reciept. Retail for everything, just is not competitive. Especially considering that as I grow I will buy more mowers... it's not just the one sale they win or lose. Can you tell I dont like MSRP?

4. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

dont worry about the equipment list, tell them what they want to hear now and make it the truth later.

5. IMAGE

from midwest

I am considering that :) I get the feeling they want Walker. The current guy uses Walker. Actually 70% of the commercial mowers in my town use Walker, so all the commercial places are starting to require bagging. But like I said, the Walker dealer is an LCO- actually the largest LCO in town. He said he has about 600 accounts, that means that as I bid on commercial places, there is a good possibility it will be against him. Not sure if I want to open that can of worms or not, even though he says its not a big deal to him, that he will do what he can to help me grow- because it would help him either way. He also has a demo 2007 GHS EFI model for cheap... :hammerhead:

6. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

i think you will be just fine after they see a exmark cut with a ultra vac on it.

7. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

I would get the Walker. If not the Walker, an Exmark Navigator would be a close second.

8. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey, if you want a Walker then get it. The last thing I would be worried about is competing with your dealer. In fact, I'd see it as he was competing with me.

9. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

You would be hard pressed to find a better mower than a Gravely. You cant go wrong with that purchase. They cut great and are pretty much bomb proof they are so over built.

You already know exmark ultra cut deck is a great deck so cant go wrong there either.

The John Deere has an amazing deck with the 7 Iron II. They cut great, dont clump and dont build up with grass. Hard to go wrong with the John Deere.

Looks like you have a tough decision. I am in the same exact boat as you with the same 3 mowers.

10. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

I owned one for 10 years, and I speak from experience. I won't say they imbibe like a hoover, but they come close! They are not overbuilt, they break down at the drop of a hat. The only good component on the one that I owned and operated was the Kohler motor. Hydraulic motors were the main problem on mine, then the electric clutch, then the weak frame. To quote Shania Twain, that don't impress me much!:cool2: