Oh, I'm such a noob.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Vikings, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

I have this Toro 36 T-bar I bought a few months ago and I was having problems with grass being uncut when I go around a curve. The faster I go around a curve the more grass would be uncut. I figured it was that the blades don't over lap enough.

So Jump forward to last week. I raised the blade by half an inch (one spacer) and the problem with the uncut grass got much worse, more pronounced in every respect. I thought it might be not enough suction so yesterday I lowered the axle, the rear of the deck. I was going to lower the castor wheels too but I looked at it and it looked fairly good.

I went to mow with it and it has NEVER mowed better. NO uncut grass at all.

Now I know (I think) that I had TOO much of a pitch in the deck. I heard all the advice of having the front of the deck a bit lower and mine was noticeable slanted. Now it's basically level I think and it cuts better then ever.

2. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

Nice job figuring that out. Was it hard to lower the axle?

3. Vikings

from canada

It's very awkward. The first time I did it it took half an hour, when I first bought the thing I raised and lowered it 3-4 times trying to find a sweet spot so it wouldn't hang on my trailer or be too high to not create suction. But that was spring when the grass was thick.

Now that the deck is lower I screwed some 2x8 planks in the trailer (a little something I learned in this forum) to raise the castor wheels so the deck won't get caught up when loading.

But yeah, to adjust the rear axle you have to jack it up, take out two bolts, loosen two others, then raise or lower your jack till holes match up for the new height. Put all together again then adjust the butter fly nuts so your parking break works properly.

4. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

I am a firm believer that a level deck cuts better. Everyone says a pitch in the deck only makes the front tip of the blade cut grass. Well If the blade needs to cut at the back of the deck it would have left a bad cut if there was a pitch in the deck. This way the blade is constantly cutting on the front half and the back half, producing a better cut.

5. Lawnut101

After you posted this, I went out and looked at my walkbehind (a Snapper) and it gave me chills just thinking about taking it apart that much! Where do you put the planks? My deck gets caught on my trailer quite often. Do you have any pics you could show me? I may be interested in doing that. with the boards.

6. Vikings

from canada

Agreed. For sure too much pitch is bad and I can't believe I struggled for so long, going over areas twice or extra slow etc., because of something so simple.

-I'm trying to find my digital camera to take a pic of where to put the boards, but basically, you go up your ramp with your wb and where it wants to get hung up, you mentally note where the caster wheels are. You screw the boards just a little before that, so that the casters ride up the board and travel along it for about 2 ft or so. Works real well.

Some people say just get a longer gate but that's not real practical once you already own the thing.

7. Lawnut101

-I'm trying to find my digital camera to take a pic of where to put the boards, but basically, you go up your ramp with your wb and where it wants to get hung up, you mentally note where the caster wheels are. You screw the boards just a little before that, so that the casters ride up the board and travel along it for about 2 ft or so. Works real well.

Some people say just get a longer gate but that's not real practical once you already own the thing.[/QUOTE]

Oh thanks. I think that I get it. I figured there must be something I could do about it, because it sure didn't look like it was good for the lawnmower or the trailer. No sense spending time fixing unnecessary damage that coulda been prevented.