oh my god i met my first scrub

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mountain air, Oct 7, 2003.

1. mountain air

mountain air LawnSite Member
    from alberta

today was a nice sunny day and i figured i would walk down to the post office and mail some invoices. two blocks from my house there was a scrub working at least thats what i labeled him as after our brief discussion. as i walked buy he was edging with his scrubby ryobi trimmer. all of a sudden he barks at me "hey you are lucky your wearing glasses you shoudn't do that, watch out next time." what he meant is that i should of left the sidewalk and walked on the busy street so i don't get hurt by the stones and stuff flying around.first thing i did was say to my self oh my god. next was if this guy worked for me he would of been fired asap.
    i don't know about you guys but me and my employee's don't trim near people or any other things that get hurt or cost me money.maybe if he would of took out my eye he would be singing a nother tune.
    i guess stopping trimming for 30 seconds for a pedestrian to pass would cut into how many cut rate jobs they do in a day.

im still in shock he gave me sh@t cause i was in his way walking on a public sidwalk can you believe that.

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Although he should have stopped if he saw you coming there is also a thing called assumed risk. It's where someone (you in this case) is aware that there is danger or hazards present but you continue anyway. If you got hurt and you knew that it was possible to get hurt then he is not liable. Cigarette companies have been defending themselves successfully for years using the assumed risk defense.

3. SCAPEASAURUSREX

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

Richard, very interesting point......... You cant see every one all the time and poeple should have the common sense to at least make sure that you as the worker see them and know of their presence before just walking past you ... or into the danger zone...I have been trying to figure out how to handle this for years, when clinets just come up behind you while your timming and stand there untill you turn around and almost hit them or tap you on the shoulder and startle you while operating dangerous mahcinery putting both of you at risk.....Has anyone sent like a memo or something out to their clints to inform them of the risks and dangers of power equipment and how to act or proceede when in the prescens of an operator ??? Looking for some ideas.....

4. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I dunno if his ryobi or his attitude makes him a scrub but not stopping work when somebody invades his work area means he's not too smart.

GEO

5. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Common sence and just plain courtesy. I put that on the goof using the equipment. It just makes sence that if you are on a public way and are doing something that could cause someone else injury if they get close then you stop. If you snuck up on him it would be different. I don't care when it happens, when we are on a lawn and someone walks down the sidewalk, the blades stop spinning and we stay in place until they walk past. I have seen the result of throwing rocks, sticks, balls and whatever else can be thrown from the blades. That stuff really sails.

Its just common courtesy to be a little concerned for others and stop just for a minute. Its amazing how many people also say thank you and smile when they walk past.

6. maple city

maple city LawnSite Senior Member

Wait until you meet the LCO "owner" that tells you how he doesn't need insurance and starts to list the residentail equipment he uses on his jobs, then you've met a scrub.

I wouldn't call your encounter one with a scrub, more like an encounter with an idiot. He was just plain stupid. Stupid for what he was doing, how he was doing it, and how he talked to you. Every person I encounter while working is a potential customer. I would have stopped what I was doing, and let the person walking, pass before I started.

Well, at least you don't have to worry about that person being a threat to your business, with those fine customer service skills, they won't be around long.

7. MGMII

MGMII LawnSite Member

Whenever I see someone coming down the street and I am working, i'll stop whatever it is that I am doing and wait for them to be a safe distance away before proceeding. He was absolutely in the wrong. And where does he get off talking to you like that!
    Just like Maple City said, they probably won't be around too much longer.

8. gogetter

gogetter Banned

That's when you get close to him and look in his eyes and tell him "he's the lucky one".

9. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

we have a rule here that whenever someone is nearby you shut off the equipment and wait until the person or person's walk by

10. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

I wouldnt call it assumed risk because if he had to walk into a busy street thats another assumed risk, should he just turn around and go home? LOL, either way if he saw someone coming the right thing to do is stop for a second