Oh No...I put gasoline in my new Redmax 7001

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Wil22, Dec 12, 2005.

1. Wil22

Wil22 LawnSite Member

Back in Jan 2005 I bought a new Red-Max 7001, awesome blower. I put gasoline in it and locked it up. I took it to my dealer and the mechanic said yes, you locked it up.

He said it would cost about 300.00 to repair. I said I didn't have the money and he siad it would take a few months to get parts, so I said alright I'll leave it.

He never called and I never went back. Today almost a year later I went back to see if he fixed it. He said I never heard from you, so I never fixed it, but if you still want it fixed I will have to put a short block in it and labor will bring the price to about 300.00.

I said well I guess I'll just take my blower and leave. Then he said

"I got it unlocked. I think if you add some more fuel it may run for a while.
    I'm not sure how long it will run after it warms up"

I said "put some fuel in it" The blower started up. I said how much do I owe you, he said nothing. He said you may want to mix it at 40:1 ratio to help with the comppression.

I left the shop, and blew leaves for 20 minutes and the 7001 is still blowing strong.:blob1:

2. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

lucky..........

3. P & L Turf

P & L Turf LawnSite Senior Member

Thats real lucky!! But on the other hand that goes to show what quality of equipment that company has. Does this make you want to more of that brand or do you think you just shut it down in time and thats why it freed up? Plus if it happens again try pulling it apart and working motor oil or something like that into the cylinder, let it soak, and then try playing with it to see if that will help to free it up. It's worked for me on a couple of occasions, it's just time consuming, so you have to be able to be without it for a little while.:cool:

4. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Thats awsome, great dealer support, i hope youll be going back to him with any other equipment needs!!! Congrats

5. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Well its good he got it running by chance, but o few months to get parts isnt great anything in my book.

6. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

There's a small amount of oil in gasoline, all the time from refining. Usually, as you found out, you don't normally "hard seize" a new motor.

7. mcwlandscaping

How would that be the dealers fault? Just asking because i dont' know.

8. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Because if you went to a ford dealer and told them you need a short block for a 58 Edsel they could probably come up with one in less than a few months. A redmax 7001 blower isnt exactly an oddball peice of equipment.

9. mcwlandscaping

ahh, gottcha, i kind of agree then, sorry for the misunderstanding there, maybe find out why it would have taken months to get the part then. Just my .02, thanks lawnman scott for the clarification.

10. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Something doesn't sound right:confused: Was he standing there working on it when he said that? It just sounds too good to be true that it unlocked just as you decided you weren't going to put $300 in it. Or am I just not reading this right?