1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Oh No!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bastalker, Apr 4, 2003.

1. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

I just found out today, that a commercial account i just won, was done by a good friend of mine for the last 5 years. I didn't know he had this account!!!

He had to let an employee go last year during the fall due to lack of work. This employee works for me now.
    I did call up my friend for a reference and told him that I picked him up. He told me he would work out good for me since he was a hard worker, and in fact he is.

We drove up to the account today, and I started explaining what needed to be done. Thats when I found out that my buddy had this account .

The owner of the property told me when he awarded me the contract, that the previous LCO was pretty mad at losing it.

I had no idea!!! I feel pretty bad about it to, but I really dont want to lose this account. I dont know if he knows it is me who got the contract, since I have talked to him several times since.

What would you do :confused: :(
  2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I would personally tell him ahead of time before he finds out through the grapevine.

And how come he lost it? Quality of work, price, etc? That would be the main thing. It is was because of price then he might be a little bit mad, but if it was quality of work then I think he would be more understanding.
  3. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Call him and break it to him gently... He'll be glad to know you're keeping the place looking good and maybe he'll not be so mad about it. Other than that, like they say business is business, and it's a free country (free enterprise).
    Move on!!!
  4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Call him. Explain you didn't know. Be honest with him.
  5. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

A friendship is more valuable than a grass cutting account. If your buddy is having a bad run of misfortune, then maybe you could tell him and the client that you are prepared to let him have the job back at the new price. I assume price, not quality was the reason the client switched. There are other fish out there, right?
  6. Be honest and sincere. When I am bidding a new contract I always learn who the last lco was.First it makes the bidding process easier for me.If it was a big money account chances are there will be long term ill feelings.maybe you can throw some work his way to soften feelings
  7. bastalker

Oh very much price....He does very quality work...He is a little pricey in my eyes.

I just bid what I thought was fair, gave them a good payment package that they liked, and was very personable with the client.

I will give my freind a call and explain what happened. If he wants I will offer him the option of doing it for my price. Funny we told each other we were not going to bid against each other.

The same employee an myself were passing out flyers today, and wound up skipping the houses that he currently has. If this employee hadn't been with me, who knows....:)
  8. bastalker

John, for some reason finding out who the last LCO was, is like getting blood from a rock. For the most part they wont tell you.

As far as throwing work his way, He has a huge client base. Twice the size of mine. I hope he wont mind to much after I talk to him....We'll see.
  9. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

bastalker -

Good for you, man. That's the honorable way to handle things.
  10. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

yeah that sucks

did some snow plowing sub work for my friend whos been in the biz for 18 years.well he screwed up during two storms and gave bad service to some places.well since they have been seeing my trucks plowing there lots they wanted to give me the job for next season.very hard to do that but its part of the biz.he did something wrong and i capitalized off it.am i happy about this no.i feel like a piece of S***. then a large set of condos i picked up was serviced by my other friend.he was quite mad but i didn't know it was his.i would talk to your friend and tell him how you feel.