Oh thats not good news

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Gravel Rat, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

I missed the evening news last night but reading the newspaper on the net and it said Madill equipment is going bankrupt.

That is not good news they have been building forestry equipment from scratch for decades. It is the highest quality machine you could buy. If they built excavators they would beat any manufacturer like Cat or Deere. You can not say the economy is doing good. There will be hundred jobs lost and millions of tax revenue gone.

Here is a link to the paper

www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/story.html?id=69fd0353-0f50-4be0-b59b-acb947b74d07&k=22102

2. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

GR we get the point, the economy sucks...nobody wants to be reminded of it anymore..if you would have read the USA papers this morning you would have also read that the Fed chairman said a recession is "possible", but theres nothing we can do about it

3. Hummer

Hummer LawnSite Member

GR,

You're posts are so often about doom & gloom in one form or another. I don't know about others on this board, but I'm tired of reading about it in so many of your posts, as if you're wanting to spread your misery around.

Good luck up there in BC.

4. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

You don't get the point when you have a company that has been building equipment I would say for 60 years going bankrupt.

They build these loaders from the ground up they are the premium machine Caterpillar can't even come close to the build quality of these machines.

www.madillequipment.com/loaders.html

I my mind it is a another nail in the coffin for the forest industry

5. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Sucks to see Madill go, but that's the way it goes man. I could start a huge long thread about how the apple growing industry back home went from the best in the world, no joke, to absolutely crappy in the last 10 years. Chelan, WA yielded the highest quality apples in the world, I guess you could compare that a little to BC for logging, but the market turned really sour about 8 or 9 years ago. Hasn't been the same since and I don't think fruit production is going to make a severe comeback. Just the way it goes.

6. Hummer

Hummer LawnSite Member

I do get the point about the company going under and it's too bad for those employees and the local economy.

But do you understand the point I was trying to make? As an example... after I made my last post I went on to the next thread down. Guess what it was about? The high prices of diesel fuel. And guess who had started it? You did. More doom & gloom.

Don't you have anything positive to say ever? I've gotten the impression after reading so many doom & gloom posts by you, that you must be a very pessimistic person and that the sky is falling due to high diesel prices, high unemployment in the timber industry, high real estate prices due to pre-olympic speculation and so on & so on. According to you BC is going to fall into the Pacific ocean and take Vancouver with it.

I'm not the only person on this board that thinks this either.

7. Hummer

Hummer LawnSite Member

I still see apple boxes from the Wenatchee & Chelan area in the grocery stores down here in Missouri all the time. :usflag: I make a point of buying a few apples when I see them too.

Then there's times that I notice the apples are from places in South America.:nono:

8. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Glad to see someone supports an American product! My dad still has some acreage in production right now, but he cut it in half about 3 years ago. There is still a fair amount of orchards producing in Chelan/Wenatchee, but not as many as there used to be. When farming went bad, real estate went good, and well, you get the rest of the story. Check out my picture thread, you can understand why people would want to build on the farm land. Typically, if a farmer was looking to get out, the land could be had cheap. Some guys would buy 20-30 acres at a time and subdivide it. Just like everything else, apples are the same, somebody somewhere else is producing them cheaper and that led to the downfall. My dad is still growing Gala and Pink Lady, we got rid of the Fuji block about 3 years ago. Just not making money, it almost cost us money to grow them the last year we had them. Galas are still bringing a good coin as long as we don't have a monster crop year, too much supply drives the cost into the ground. Pink Ladies are just an average return.

9. JDSKIDSTEER

JDSKIDSTEER LawnSite Bronze Member

GR....You are as bad as the news media...Granted things are down a little, but I have been bustin my butt moving Iron the last two weeks and had a pretty fair winter.:usflag:

10. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

GR look at their website..they still have a huge list of job openings they are looking to fill. Just because a company goes bankrupt in todays world doesn't mean they shut down and fire everyone