Oh, to single cut...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Shady Brook, Sep 7, 2001.

1. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I have to say first off, this site is a dream! I stumbled on it from the plow site, and have spending lots of time reading the many posts. I appreciate everyones willingness to help each other.

I have a 52" Turf Tiger and am not real pleased with it's ability to multch. I do not have the advantage deck, so I can not get the multch kit, which I hear is salty anyway. I discharge as much as I can, but often am double cutting, or bagging the remains. I am really frustrated. I have went to double blades, which helps, but also seems to force certain grass types down to the ground, leaving much uncut. I have been using a highlift/bottom, standard/top, due to the high moisture content of the grass of late. I may have to try using a standard and a gator to stop some of the down force.

Does anyone have a tiger that they are really satisfied with? I like the construction, not the hydropump that took a dump on me. I do not make much money with all the passes. I have heavy growth in most of my yards, and this is my first rider so perhaps I am expecting to much. I wonder if there are folks in a similar region that cut high, and or damp grass with success using any machine, be it dixie, exmark, or hustler? I honestly believe my scag walk behinds are better multchers using gators then my Tiger. Thanks in adavance, and sorry for the brutally long post.

Jay:)

2. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

Welcome To Lawnsite!!

in just a matter of minutes you will have multiple responses on the scag question, if you ever have a question, be sure to try the search feature at the top of the page, there's a few good hours of reading there!:)

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Shady Brook,
    First of all, welcome to Lawnsite. I hope it brings all you expect. About your question, I cut with a 60" Lazer, and my mower is doing quite a bit of the same thing right now. First off, I'm cutting at 3.5 and 3.75" right now. The last fob I just stepped off of, was a fesccue, which ISn't a real good grass to cut long in the first place. I cut this at 3.75" to match the rest of the yard, (front) and it, of course, had alot of tendency to lay over. Another factor to consider in this, is that the grass (most grass) is really stressed right now, so it just doesn't have that bounce back as healthier grasses do. Sure, they MAY be alot of moisture in the grass right now because of all the rains we've had lately, (thank God!) but the grass is still stressed from earlier mid-season drought conditions. The reason I cut this grass at this height, was I KNEW I was going to be cutting it twice anyway. The first time I cut it, I had alot of matted tangled looking laying over grass, but when I ran a diagonal after that, it lifted all up and cut clean. Again, I think stress is a major factor in this at this time. Good luck!

4. MATTHEW

MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO

I can relate. I have many lawns that I double cut everytime. It is a real time waster but people really like that "checkerboard" look.
    The only way to deal with fast growing grass is to cut more often. I have gone to every 5 days on most, and 4 on others. No one has complained yet. I find that after 4-5 days the stripes are still there and I get the checkerboard look anyway. Just tell 'em. It causes stress to turfgrass to knock 3" off of 6" grass. Hope you are charging extra for clipping disposal.

5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I run all exmarks. They have the mulching kits on them and the cut is unbelievable. You get a bagged look without bagging. If its real tall or wet I sometimes need to run over again, but at a real fast speed. Under normal conditions I only need to cut once. I'm not going to dump on scag, I've done that in the past. I will say I decided against them.

6. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Welcome to Lawnsite Shady Brook

I agree with Runner, the grass is really stressed from the summer heat and it is weak. I did notice this week it was cutting much nicer than the previous week though, so I hope it gets easier for you too.

I run 60" Choppers here. :rolleyes:

7. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Thanks for all the responses so far guys. Eric, are you up on the Northwest side? I work Lake county IN, I imagine mowing condtions are probably fairly similar due to our proximity. You guys are probably correct about the grass being stressed, but a big part of my problem, ie double cutting is because of the clumps, of grass that is being scattered. I have to recut due to the straglers, and uncut grass, which I think is due to the double blades, and or because of the stressed grass. Normally I am very satisfied with the quality of cut, I am sick and tired of the clumps of grass, wet or dry. It seems like it ejects the stuff out in an eratic fassion leaving clumps alot of the time. I have been mowing over it with the deck raised on the second pass much of the time to disperse it, but even that proves un successful, it just moves the clumps over. I might even be pretty happy if my second pass made the yard looked bagged, but it doesn't. Maybe I am more sensative now due to my help going to jail, or back to school. I ain't got the time! :(

Thanks again
    Jay

8. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

If we have to double "cut" to remove clumps we raise the deck one notch and drive faster, it allows the blades to just spread the clumps instead of having to cut the lawn too. It's only 1/4" higher so it also cuts the few stragglers that are there.

9. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Yes, I'm in N/W Chicago area so our grass should be about the same. I am not having clumping problems, the grass is just growing so much in 7 days that there are visible clippings on some lawns 2 weeks ago. This past week has been much better, so I have single cut most lawns.

I have found that using a Gator blade as a second blade when grass is wet will make the grass clump up. A Gator will actually throw clippings inwards which will rechop clippings and make them ball up. The blade on my website on the double blade page, that I use is like number 6 on the list of 8 blades. You can see it pictured along with a Gator on the very top picture you see that has blades. This blade is sort of like a Gator, but it throws clippings outwards and doesn't ball up clippings like a Gator. I have only found this blade at Dixie Chopper, so if anyone knows of another source for other mowers, can you post it?

10. I'll just say welcome, they did the rest. remember don't be shy.

LGF:blob1: