Oh ****, water in basement.

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jcom, May 23, 2006.

1. jcom

jcom LawnSite Senior Member

We had a customer call with water in their new basement. New install last year. Builder suggested it must be us.

We went out and dug to our line from house. Bone dry. Left the hole open to show the builder who is supposed to be out tomorrow. We have never had a call like that. Needless to say the "fire truck" was on site real fast.

Homeowner now suspects the drain "tile" around the property. (400k new construction.)

John:weightlifter:

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I heavily doubt its the perimiter drain, especially if your hole was dry. It would take a lot of drain water to do that.

How about indoor plumbing leaking? I had a real weird leak in my house, leak from the shower plumbing in the bathroom, but a wet spot in a adjacent room was showing up, The water was traveling over the pumbing lines and the bathroom area never seemed wet...

3. Badgerz

Badgerz LawnSite Member

I had a very fine mist leak coming from the toilet's water supply line in my last house. I was redoing the bathroom so there was no drywall behind the toilet at the time. The water found it's way down the wall and behind the paint in the living room and one day there were two "bags" of water on the wall. The only thing keeping the water in place was the paint. It was kind of freaky seeing those two bubbles on the living room wall but at least it alerted me to the leak. Leaks can be crazy sometimes. Had to redo a 4'x4' section of dry wall in the living room.

4. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

The builder probably screwed something up and figures he can blame it on you. I have been amazed at the shoddy construction practices around here and it seems that each contractor has the mindset "Hurrah for me and ***the next guy."

5. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Send a bill for what you did. That'll have 'em good and fired up for the building contractor.:waving:

6. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

by all means bill your time. It wasn't warranty work. If I were betting, A dry wall screw was run through a water line and has finally rusted enough to begin to leak......somewhere. The water travels just as wierd and freely through walls as it does through soil. Path of least resistance and it may hug a pipe,wire, etc. for a long way before actually dripping to the next point of travel. When it finally hits a low spot, things get wet. Doesn't get much lower than the basement.