1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Oh which Trimmer to buy?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 021462, Sep 7, 2002.

1. 021462

021462 LawnSite Member

I need another trimmer. I have all 2 cycle equipment with ECHO. I have seen others use a brand called Shindawa. I think that is how it's spelled? They work fine, but so does my ECHO. I need a back-up and was just wanting some feedback. Thanks,
  2. PR0 TURF

PR0 TURF LawnSite Bronze Member

We have 3 of the RedMax trimmers with the 26cc engines. Huge difference from the 22cc engines...very powerful...wouldn't use anything else. Well worth the extra $$ for the bigger engine
  3. ScotLawn

ScotLawn LawnSite Senior Member

one word.............. STIHL

I have two fs85's and love them both. very powerfull and don't drink that much fuel.

Echo's are good and shin are too but your best bet would be to go to a dealer and demo these side by side and YOU choose. Make sure first that you find a good dealer before you buy from them. The dealer to me is what decides which brand I buy. His service means weither I cut that day or next week due to parts on order.

4. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Shindaiwa, thats how its spelled. Buy one, if you don't like it , they have a 7 day money back guarentee.
  5. greenngrow

greenngrow LawnSite Senior Member

Pro turf and I are in agreement. Red Max is what I used and they are great..

No Problems with my Three... I would buy 3 more tomorrow if I had money
  6. BB36

BB36 LawnSite Member

Kawi 22cc,25cc & 33cc. I have them all,all run good.They all have a locking trigger so you don't have to hold the throttle trigger all day.The 22cc is lighter to carry then the Echo & Tanaka that i also use..This is important to me when you lug it all day. Like one of the previous posts said , he said something to this effect , buy one from a dealer that is close by and can repair it fast. Use a dealer you can rely on.
  7. grshppr

grshppr LawnSite Senior Member

I have always gotten Stihl, but a last year I bought a Kawasaki 26cc weedeater. I love it, lots of power and it is smooth. I must say though they are not easy to get any warranty work from. I've got a couple Echo's as well, also great machines, same size engine, but not as much power as the kawasaki.
  8. rkbrown

rkbrown LawnSite Senior Member

I have used Echo and Stihl. I prefer the Stihl.
  9. Is that what that thing on the side of my throttle is?

I wondered what that thing you can't use is.

My Red Max have them and we never use them, you just can't keep a weed eater at one set speed all day.

SHin's got em also.
  10. BB36

BB36 LawnSite Member

I've been using my Kawi trimmers between 2-4 years.I do flucturate the speed , but when i'm trimming a long edge etc. i lock the trigger.Saves the hand. :cool: