Oh wow 2 acres

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by South Florida Lawns, Apr 11, 2006.

1. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

I just picked up a 2 acre account and for my area thats a big piece of property.

For me its a big deal, even though I have done a 10 acre one time account for a friend.

I can't wait to get started.

2. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

i just turned down a 200 acre mow job cause my mexs from marcus drake aint here yet. something about consulate delays... but im getting impatient and have to waste time with whiteys. i did find a couple local salvadorians today. the one has good potential and appears to be a natural. other is off to partner company tomarrow for more training before coming aboard full time.

3. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

sorry bout last post. long dam month and its getting old.

4. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Conngrats SFL..good luck with that!

5. South Florida Lawns

from usa

Thanks guys.

Yeah I know a guy that will hire anyone, I told him about some dude thats a friend of a friend, thats a druggie, well crack head.

Anyways the LCO asked me for his number and the next week I see him running the blower lol.

Even though the guy goes through helpers like I have never seen before.

They do great work but the whiteys can and will most likely be druggies.

6. South Florida Lawns

from usa

just finally started it yesterday.

Its like 3 acres.

THat **** took forever.

There are so many trees and the grass sucks so I get lost with the line Im mowing because in some areas its just patches with a lot of leaves.

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

LOL you underbid it :laugh:

Don't feel bad lol that happens to me with those big lots, nowadays I always use zillow.com to look up the property so at least I have an idea as to size. zillow.com is not perfect as some lots have parts of the lot in the woods, but it is a guide and it helps.

8. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

Why did it take forever? How long is that? What equipment did you use (I think I know)? How much do you earn there?

I mow a 3 acre residential property (with 1/2 acre of it being a woods with lots of trees to go around) in 1.5 hours using two men and two mowers. Now I will have to admit that (excluding the woods) the majority of cutting is done at 13-15 MPH.

9. scagwildcat

scagwildcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from nw. ct.

it should only take you an hour to mow & trim, are you push mowing it??

10. South Florida Lawns

from usa

Used a Toro Z 44" I think it tops out at 8mph on a good day with a tail wind.

The front of the property is almost woods, then towards the back its open with decent turf and the house.

Its the kind of grass that grows slow but gets tall in areas (patchy) so you mow a lot of nothing.

BTW I charged him $25 an acre.