OHC vs. OHV

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by gotgreen?, Apr 27, 2005.

1. gotgreen?

gotgreen? LawnSite Member

Can someone explain the difference between OHC and OHV, and witch one is better. I ask this because Honda offer both engines, but one for commercial and another for home use. Thanks.

2. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

OHV=Over Head Valve,,the valve and rocker arm assembly is mounted over head of the cylinder and is worked by push rods from the cam below in the crankcase.
    OHC=Over Head Cam,,the cam and valves and rocker arm assembly (some OHC engines have no rocker arm assembly as such) and a belt runs from the crankcase up to the cam over head to work the valves. This belt is just like a timing belt and must be timed just like one. As for which one is better lets just say me and oil soaked belts do not get alone.

3. gotgreen?

gotgreen? LawnSite Member

Adding to this, what is the difference between the Honda's GXV,GCV and GSV engines? Are all of these OHC engines? and, why Honda call's them OHV/OHC?Thank you.

4. mike76

mike76 LawnSite Member

The GXV engine is an over head valve commercial grade engine, GCV engine is a home owner grade Overhead cam engine, the GSV is a home owner grade overhead cam engine. The GXV has a cast iron sleeve and bearing on the crank shaft, the GCV has to be ordered with bearing and has no cast iron sleeve, the GSV has a cast iron sleeve and has to be ordered with crank bearings. As far as timing belt in oil I have had to replace only 2 in the last 4 years and that was due to cam gears breaking on el cheepo pressure washers. Hope this clears things up for you.

5. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 LawnSite Senior Member

well said.