Ohio blade heights

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nfarr, May 10, 2006.

1. nfarr

nfarr LawnSite Member

For those in central ohio, at what height are you currently mowing?

2. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

I am anywhere from 3 to 3.5 But earlier I was thinking of going to 3.5 on all yards. This rain we are getting is much needed right now.

JP

3. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

3.75 do to drought but normally I am at 3.25

4. abuckeye

abuckeye LawnSite Member

I am cutting at 3" now but thinking of going to 3-1/4".

5. tynash

tynash LawnSite Member

I prefer shorter while it is raining and not dry. I go 2.75. I can cut faster at that hight and it looks better.

6. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

I'm more up northeast but we're at 3.5-3.75 right now. The grass was getting that crispy dry look so thankfully we're getting rain tonight and tomorrow (supposed to get rain till monday). I'll drop down to 3" towards June and bring it back up to 3.5"-3.75" during the hot months.

7. DynaMow

DynaMow LawnSite Senior Member

Why higher when dry? I do not, maybe I should.

I am at 3 1/4 right now

8. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

One you can squeeze more cuts out of it, and I've found that moving to a higher cut every 10 days keeps the lawns healthier during drought. All the other guys were cutting every 14-17 days last year during the bad drought, I moved to a 10 day cutting schedule at a little bit higher cutting height and all my accounts stayed remotely green and didn't have to skip a full week the whole time.

Cutting higher also crowds out the weeds which will grow easier in a thin stressed lawn. Cultural practices Craig, didn't you read your books for the pest exams! :D

9. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

I am at 3"-3.25"...

10. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

I cut my fescue lawns at 3"-3.5". Bermuda at 3". I don't have any Kentucky Blue lawns but the ones I see are maintained high, at least 3.5", probably 4" on some of the larger props. I try to cut as high as I can (3.5")on the fescue lawns, unless the customer complains, then I will drop it to 3". I have one that I maintain (under protest) at 2.5", but it looks ok, for now. We'll see what happens this summer. :rolleyes: Crazy old bag won't listen to me, wanted it cut at 2" I told her 2.5" is as low as I will go on fescue. Even though I know 2.5" is okay sometimes, she doesn't water and I have a feeling it's gonna look like crap by july.