1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ohio Guys, Please field this question....

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by battags, Mar 23, 2005.

1. battags

battags LawnSite Senior Member

I just got my study materials for my Commercial App. permit through the ODA. I about fell over when I saw how much I had to study. Between the turf grass book and the ornamental book, I have weeks of studying to go!!!

Most of the core material I am already familiar with and same goes for a fair amount of the turf grass study guide. How difficult is the test and what can I expect? How long is this thing? Should I sign up for one of the classes?

Any help would be Great!!!

2. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

I personally wouldn't complain at the amount of knowledge they present infront of you. Afterall, the businessman with the most knowledge (under most circumstances) will prevail. If you want to be the best, you have to know more than the rest.

I read through every 'book' they sent but didnt take a class 3 years ago. I passed. Dont really remember the test so i wont comment on that.
  3. battags

battags LawnSite Senior Member

Don't get me wrong, Mac, I'm not complaining at all. I enjoy learning, as I have my entire life. I have no problem absorbing the material. My concern is, to have a comprehensive test on all that material, would take quite a long time. Additionally, testing criteria and standards are notiously wide ranging when it comes to governmental agencies.

I'm wondering if I have just been inundated with a ton of material only to have a cursory exam over several main points, most of which would turn out to be common sense to us all. The other extreem would be a rediculously in-depth exam which would require months of study.

I would say that I have nothing to worry about, but I don't know what to expect. I guess it's refreshing to hear that the test didn't leave a big impression. I just have 4 books to study and am a little miffed that I won't be done in time to spread fert.

4. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

If I remember right the core is the largest test. It has been a long long time. I did add 6a and 10a last year ad it oly took an hour for both test combined
  5. scagster

scagster LawnSite Member
    from n.ohio

read chapters and answer the questions at the end of each chapter, thats wha t i did seveal times, and i passed the core, ind. veg and turf all on the fist try