Lawn Care Forum banner

Ohio Lawn thread

1M views 11K replies 251 participants last post by  gardiner 
#1 Ā·
Well I know there is a thread anyone from Ohio here, but figured why not just start a Ohio Lawn thread, kinda like the Ohio snow thread on plowsite. Be good for general bull sh*ting and what not.

So are we all ready for spring here in Ohio or what??? I am sick of the snow and ready for some spring clean-ups!!!!!

#127 Ā·
just go hit what you want with advertising if you don't want those types of homes don't go after them.

So far the best earliest line up I have ever had thanks to sending out forms to customer early March to sign up for work through the season.

Spring Clean ups about 10 so far on the list with a few done
Landscape work 20 jobs approx
Currently have 70 +or - weekly mows with a few double cuts
We have various estimates out on hardscape, landsape, mowing

I have tried door hangers last year put 1,000 out got 2 calls 1 job
phone book mailers too much money and no luck either
TV comercial on local cable just get lost with 1,000 other landscapers on their
local papers never worked for us either just price shoppers and late payers
We have growen mostly on referals and keeping our rig lookin good and lettered.

Our goal for now is to max out our mowing crew looking for 40 more high end lawns

then we will start a landscpe hardscape crew full time would like to dabble in decorative masonary small excavation projects

#134 Ā·
A pop quiz for the NEW guys. You have to a gravel slab or landing for the trailer. You have at your disposal a Dingo mini skid Rock will be delivered.
The area is 30' X 20" Plus 6'X 10' in front of the shed. I allready have a price.
I figure I could make you guys callenge yourselves if you ever have a situation were you have to do something like this. Keep in mind you will have to dig this out to. What kind of question do you need to ask yourself?
You more seasoned guys hold off on this. Get to it class.:hammerhead:
JOSH

Wheel Tire Tree Plant Travel trailer

#135 Ā·
Josh, I would have to ask, how stuck is that trailer first and foremost!!!:) And could you send me some reading material on that advertising you sent to GV?? This will be my first year as well and want to make some money!!!

Ronnie, I didnt plow. As fast as I got the plow all hooked and ready to run, it stopped and began melting. I said f*** this and took it back off again.:dizzy: That is how it always works I guess. Did you plow any at all?? Gimme a shout later, I will be home.

#137 Ā·
I may have to look into it. I have all of the info for it, just kinda leery about it I guess. But it is worth a shot!!!

#140 Ā·
Josh, I will do some good research on it. If I do have any questions at all, I will for sure call you!!! Thanks for the help.:waving:

Ronnie, we are all talking good about you so far:rolleyes: LOL!! I still think it would be funny if you would run from your dad's dog:laugh: I think you would need to wear some kind of padding though. Maybe wear one of those fat man suits:)

#141 Ā·
Josh, Frist Iwould ask myself why in the hell would this customer want a 30 foot X 20 inch gravel parking area? HAHAHA! Really you need to figure out time& cost of material. Is the material being hauled in? If so, can the truck get close to the shed or will they have to dump out front and you move it all back to the site? Do you have a place to dump the spoils (dirt you take out)? Will you be doing solo or have help that will need to be paid.......Ouch my brain is hurting now!

#142 Ā·
Tom, a fat man in a fat suit??? How well dose that work???

Josh, I think big is forgetting that as wet as it is theres no getting a dump back in there to dump stone. As small as it is if it was mine, I wold put down some grid.

#149 Ā·
A pop quiz for the NEW guys. You have to a gravel slab or landing for the trailer. You have at your disposal a Dingo mini skid Rock will be delivered.
The area is 30' X 20" Plus 6'X 10' in front of the shed. I allready have a price.
I figure I could make you guys callenge yourselves if you ever have a situation were you have to do something like this. Keep in mind you will have to dig this out to. What kind of question do you need to ask yourself?
You more seasoned guys hold off on this. Get to it class.:hammerhead:
JOSH
Ok I think I will try this...

Do I own the dingo? Or rent?
-Rent = renter fee + man hour + delivery
-Own= Delivery + Man hour + Show up + Equipment Use Fee
Where is the digout going to go? Dump? Onsite?
-If dump add for removal plus dump fee
-Onsite
How much is the gravel going to cost and how many tons do I need?

Since already stated ground being wet your going to have to use dingo to transfer the gravel from front to back.

Might have missed something there but onto the job.

Job
-Landing
Measure and stake corners; and connect the rectangle with line
Dig out the 30'X20' 5inches deep with dingo and remove all debris and roots.
Lay 2inches of crushed limestone and plate compact to reduce sinking
Lay 3inches of gravel; then use a plate compactor to compact and check level of slab

Ill stop there for now to check my progress

#150 Ā·
Just look at the NOAA report for today, 1-3 today and 1-2 tonight, I might have to put the plow back on today. I'm going to wait till it starts sticking to the ground. WTF is the weather people thinking, O-well welcome to OHIO

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.