1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ohio lawn with yellow streaks

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by selaeration, Apr 16, 2007.

1. selaeration

selaeration LawnSite Member

A customer sent me this photo. I fertilized about 2 weeks ago. Any Ideas from this picture? It has been very cold here after a very warm stretch

Attached Files:

2. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I have seen a few lawns like that too. its caused from the cold (winter) weather we had the last couple weeks.
  3. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

Could it have been walked on in the morning when there was a bad frost on the ground? That would leave brown marks. Tough to say from the picture if it is foot prints.
  4. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Calcium chloride from traffic slush? Any early liquid pre-em applications? Lots of variables.
  5. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Could be lots of things. I'd wait and see how it looks after the lawn has really gotten going. They could be foot prints from somebody walking on the frost, could be patches of different grasses coming out of dormancy later, literally dozens of possibilities.
  6. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

i'm with indyturf.. i have seen a few like that, the lawns with tall fescue mixed in are realy bad.
  7. Puttinggreens

Puttinggreens LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from southeast PA

I too believe it is just different species or varieties coming out of dormancy. If the customer is really concerned, pull out some individual plants and check to make sure the crown is alive.
  8. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

It is severe cold temperature injury on lush vegetation.
    The grass was actively growing and very lush (juicy).
    82 degrees - then 7 degree windchills = frost bite.
    Same deal with many woody plants.

Tall fescue got hit hardest (the upper Midwest is it's northernmost growing range). Then rye, then Kentucky blue.

Lawns that were worst hit were the ones that got mowed before these nearly record cold temps arrived. Open cuts on the grass blades componded the damage.

I mow my own lawn, so here's what I did:
    When I saw the long range forecast, I chose not to mow.
    Instead, I mowed yesterday. I had to double cut it, but it's all green now. No "freezer burn".

Our land-grant university has been hit hard with phone calls regarding this "cosmetic" problem.
  9. xpnd

xpnd LawnSite Senior Member

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

HUH????? This is both correct AND incorrect. Mostly incorrect. Plants foll temperature, and soils are nt affected by temperature...only ambient temps. But plants themselves ARE affected by wind chills....VERY affected. In caes like this, foliage can be burned. This looks very much like the case, here. Much the same way chemical burn works, wind does essentially the same thing. If you have ever seen the damage up here that can happen to other types of plants, as well, you would know exactly what I'm talking about. We have a term up here for this called winter dessication. If you have ever seen nursery stock with whole sides of it's foliage (let alone smaller parts) taken off, you would know what is meat by this. Many times, evergreen types are susceptible to this when exposed to wide open areas that are facing the west and/or southwest. Some are even more fragile than others...for instance, Alberta spruce is VERY susceptible compared to thing like Norway Blue or Scotch. Cedar arbos are somewhat susceptible, too - especially when young and more tender.