1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

    Dismiss Notice

Ohio LCO Making it legal

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by skurtz78, Mar 28, 2005.

  1. skurtz78

    skurtz78 LawnSite Member
    Posts: 65

    I have been running my operation for right at a year now and have been registered with the state since the start. I guess I should have gotten someone to help me from the start but I only took on 5 accounts last year due to having to stay at home with a newborn. I knew that not making more than $5000 dollars I would not need to collect sales tax. The problem I am having is now I want to make sure I have everything done and run a legal business. I have been searching for what I need to do and have been filling out paperwork like crazy.
    Here is what I have filled out so far.
    Sales tax forms
    Taxable business property form
    State certificate
    I see in Greene county that you have to get a new service venders license renewed once a month.

    What other forms do I need. I am still going solo with 35 accounts this year and want to keep it legal so I do not get fined any more than I will for what I missed last year.
    :blob3: Thank you for the help :blob3:
  2. daveintoledo

    daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member
    Posts: 2,587

    it will ask you what you are doing, and tell you what forms you need,...

    as far as i know, just mowing, nofertilizer, you lnly need to register your name with the state as a trade name or fictisious name, and pay the 25 for the vendors licence, your county may have requirments also

    its a good site

  3. LawnScapers of Dayton

    LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH
    Posts: 2,574

    The not collecting sales tax for less than $5000 is a myth for landscaping/lawn care. Now snow removal that is true.

  4. LawnScapers of Dayton

    LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH
    Posts: 2,574

    I have never heard of the county venders license......or the need for it.
  5. spoolinaround

    spoolinaround LawnSite Senior Member
    Posts: 331

    if you are a business in Ohio then you have to collect sales tax on any service rendered along with materials, they changed that last year
  6. riches139

    riches139 LawnSite Senior Member
    Posts: 369

  7. ddebord

    ddebord LawnSite Member
    Posts: 2

    you need to call my accountant. he will set you up file all the forms to keep you legal.i'm a local guy here in south west ohio- west carrollton
  8. skurtz78

    skurtz78 LawnSite Member
    Posts: 65

    Thank you all for your help. I am going to call the Greene County auditor and talk with them about what they need me to do. I would like to get an accountant but not sure if I want to put out the money for one being that I am still going to be only at 35 accounts.
  9. daveintoledo

    daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member
    Posts: 2,587

    if you make more then 5000 the previous year , or expect to make 5000 this year you must collect sales tax on lawn care, on snow removal, if it is mechinised it is taxable, i have the documents in front of me.... wanna bet hahahah

Share This Page