1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ohio LCO Making it legal

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by skurtz78, Mar 28, 2005.

1. skurtz78

skurtz78 LawnSite Member

I have been running my operation for right at a year now and have been registered with the state since the start. I guess I should have gotten someone to help me from the start but I only took on 5 accounts last year due to having to stay at home with a newborn. I knew that not making more than $5000 dollars I would not need to collect sales tax. The problem I am having is now I want to make sure I have everything done and run a legal business. I have been searching for what I need to do and have been filling out paperwork like crazy.
    Here is what I have filled out so far.
    Sales tax forms
    Taxable business property form
    State certificate
    I see in Greene county that you have to get a new service venders license renewed once a month.

What other forms do I need. I am still going solo with 35 accounts this year and want to keep it legal so I do not get fined any more than I will for what I missed last year.
    :blob3: Thank you for the help :blob3:
  2. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

it will ask you what you are doing, and tell you what forms you need,...

as far as i know, just mowing, nofertilizer, you lnly need to register your name with the state as a trade name or fictisious name, and pay the 25 for the vendors licence, your county may have requirments also

its a good site

3. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

The not collecting sales tax for less than $5000 is a myth for landscaping/lawn care. Now snow removal that is true.

4. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I have never heard of the county venders license......or the need for it.
  5. spoolinaround

spoolinaround LawnSite Senior Member

if you are a business in Ohio then you have to collect sales tax on any service rendered along with materials, they changed that last year
  6. riches139

riches139 LawnSite Senior Member

7. ddebord

ddebord LawnSite Member

you need to call my accountant. he will set you up file all the forms to keep you legal.i'm a local guy here in south west ohio- west carrollton
  8. skurtz78

skurtz78 LawnSite Member

Thank you all for your help. I am going to call the Greene County auditor and talk with them about what they need me to do. I would like to get an accountant but not sure if I want to put out the money for one being that I am still going to be only at 35 accounts.
  9. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

if you make more then 5000 the previous year , or expect to make 5000 this year you must collect sales tax on lawn care, on snow removal, if it is mechinised it is taxable, i have the documents in front of me.... wanna bet hahahah